Carnegie Mellon University

Student Support University Resource Guide
Where to turn for...

Immediate life safety issues:

University Police
Call CMU’s University Police department 24/7 to request emergency response to any safety concern, including summoning Emergency Medical Services (EMS).

Medical or health issues:

University Health Services (UHS)
UHS provides medical care and referrals for all CMU students. In addition to general health issues and comprehensive care management, UHS provides services related to nutrition/diet/eating disorders and alcohol and drug assessment. On-call consultation is available after hours.

Psychological or emotional difficulties:

Counseling & Psychological Services (CaPS)

CaPS offers same-day appointments for urgent situations and 24/7 on-call service for any after-hours needs.  Therapists are also available to consult with any member of the university community regarding student mental health concerns.

Academic integrity issues:

Office of Community Standards and Integrity (OCSI)
Reports of violations of the university’s academic integrity policy should be made to OCSI. Staff are also available to consult regarding the university’s policies and procedures.

Accommodations for a student with a disability:

Office of Disability Resources
Resources and accommodations for students with needs as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

Financial pressures:

Students who are struggling financially should consult with their HUB liaison.

Office of the Dean of Students
Student Affairs offers short-term emergency student loans.

Immigration issues

Office of International Education
Students who report immigration concerns should consult with their assigned OIE advisor.

Sexual assault:

Office of Title IX Initiatives (TIX)
TIX offers professional staff trained to provide support, information, resources, and referrals to all community members  impacted by sexual misconduct, domestic violence and stalking.

Identity related support and bias concerns:

Center for Student Diversity and Inclusion
Expert staff, resources and programs for students who align with historically underrepresented or marginalized identities such as women, LGBQ+, transgender and gender non-binary, racially and ethnically underrepresented, and those who are first in their families to attend college.

For general concerns or academic distress:

Housefellows: Residential Education Office

All students living in university housing are assigned a housefellow who can engage campus resources and assist students who experience personal or academic difficulty.

College Liaisons 

College liaisons are senior members of the Division of Student Affairs who work in partnership with advisors, faculty and associate deans in each college regarding student concerns across a wide range of issues.

Associate Dean of the College, Academic Advisors

Associate deans and advisors can help identify additional academic resources such as Academic Development, the Global Communications Center and the Intercultural Communications Center to assist students who are struggling.