U.S. Citizens Studying at CMU-Qatar
2019-2020 Financial Aid Instructions
Step 1: Complete the 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (required for federal financial aid programs)
The FAFSA is required if applying for federal financial aid programs. There are now two ways to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form: a redesigned https://fafsa.ed.gov website or a mobile app (available through Google Play or the Apple App Store).
We recommend using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to complete the FAFSA. The DRT transfer process has been improved to include stronger security and privacy protections; therefore, tax information transferred will not display on the form or Student Aid Report. Instead, the phrase "Transferred from the IRS" will appear in the fields.
- Apply as soon as possible after October 1.
- Carnegie Mellon's Federal Code is 003242.
- Use 2017 tax information to complete the FAFSA.
- A Department of Education Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID is required. View FSA ID instructions.
- The student and a parent must complete the FAFSA's electronic signature requirement.
Step 2: Complete the Federal Verification Process (required for all QATAR students)
- Complete the Verification of Household Information form
- Submit tax documents and income information (taxed and untaxed)
- If student or parents filed a U.S. Federal Tax Return, then you are required to submit a Federal Tax Return Transcript (www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript)
- If student or parents are required to file an Income Tax Return in a country other than the U.S., a copy of a foreign tax return and tax information translated into U.S. dollars on a U.S. tax return must be provided to CMU (the translated tax return must be signed by student/parent and a tax accountant)
- Forms may be faxed to 412-268-6551 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (NOTE: please remove social security numbers from all electronic transmissions)