Carnegie Mellon University

Sponsored and Reimbursed Travel - PHS funded researchers only

Investigators with PHS funding are are required by the regulation to disclose the occurrence of certain types of reimbursed or sponsored travel related to the Investigator's Institutional Responsibilities. Travel disclosures need to be made on an ongoing basis for the duration of an award.  Travel disclosures are to be completed in SPARCS and can be done at the time of an Annual or Research Certification.  

You are not required to disclose travel unless the total value of travel sponsored by a single organization in a 12-month period exceeds $5,000. 

You do not need to disclose travel if it was sponsored or reimbursed by any of the following:

  • A U.S. federal, state or local government entity,
  • A U.S. institution of higher learning,
  • A U.S. academic teaching hospital,
  • A U.S. medical center, or
  • A U.S. research institute affiliated with an institution of higher learning.

When you disclose sponsored and reimbursed travel, you should provide the following information:

  • Purpose of the trip,
  • Identity of the sponsor/organizer,
  • The destination, and
  • Duration.

Travel paid for by CMU or covered by a sponsored award does not need to be disclosed. Travel paid for by professional societies must be disclosed unless it falls into one of the exemptions listed above. Travel paid for by foreign institutions, including universities and governments, must be disclosed.