Housing-Office of International Education - Carnegie Mellon University


Carnegie Mellon University offers a variety of housing services to international students and scholars. These services vary significantly depending on whether you are an international undergraduate, graduate or exchange student, or an international scholar (visiting researcher or professor). The subsections of this Housing section in the Settling In Guide address the specifics for each of the four unique groups which are served by OIE:

  • International undergraduates (F & J students)
  • Exchange students from CMU campuses abroad (F students)
  • Exchange students (J students)
  • International graduate students (F & J students)
  • International scholars (J-1 researchers, professors, short-term scholars and student interns)

In summary, traditional dormitory style and apartment housing is maintained by Carnegie Mellon for undergraduate and exchange students during the regular academic terms. Graduate students and visiting scholars independently arrange for housing at off-campus locations, sometimes with the assistance of the home academic department and perhaps in consultation with the Community Housing Office. New graduate students may take advantage of a two-week period of Transitional Housing in campus dormitories in August prior to Graduate Orientation; move in and move out dates are strictly enforced and arrangements must be made in advance.

International students and scholars should anticipate a brief stay at a hotel or with a friend immediately upon arrival to Pittsburgh. Exceptions include new international undergraduates and exchange students who arrive on the scheduled Move In Day prior to the start of the classes and graduate students who arrive in August and have already reserved room(s) in Transitional Housing prior to arrival.

Undergraduate StudentsExchange StudentsGraduate StudentsScholars

Last Updated: January 10, 2017