Undergraduate Students and Exchange Students Living On Campus-Office of International Education - Carnegie Mellon University

Undergraduate Students and Exchange Students

  • Attend International Undergraduate Orientation
  • Complete mandatory immigration check-in (This should be completed during orientation)
  • Bring all original immigration documents (I-20/DS-2019, passport and visa)
    • You will also need to bring:
      • Copies of your passport, visa, visa entry stamp, and I-94 record
      • Completed Student Data Form (.pdf)
        • If you arrive after International Orientation, you MUST complete a 1.5 hour mini-orientation in the Office of International Education. Call 412-268-5231 to sign up.
  • Immigration check-in must be completed by the end of the first week of classes or you will lose your legal nonimmigrant status in the U.S.!
  • Complete course registration procedures. This is usually done before you arrive or at First Year Orientation. Check with your academic department.
  • Get your student ID card at Move In Day.
  • Open a bank account. When you attend international student orientation you will receive detailed information on the many full-service banks close to campus. In the meantime, check out the following web sites:
  • When considering banking options take into consideration services and fees associated with checking and savings accounts, interest rates, Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) access, credit and debit card availability, as well as telephone and web banking.
  • Purchase health insurance. Health insurance is required by the University and is a necessity in the US because the cost of routine and emergency health care is extremely expensive. For more information about Carnegie Mellon Health Services or health insurance please check with Health Services.
  • Apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) if you will be employed on campus. A Social Security Number is a number used for tax purposes that is required for employment in US. You must have an offer of employment to be eligible to apply for an SSN. You must apply in person for a permanent Social Security Number at a Social Security Office. Take your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, I-94 record, and the signed OIE Social Security Number Form (.pdf). You will also need to provide an address where your new card can be sent. The Social Security Administration recommends that international applicants wait at least 10 (business) days after check-in with OIE (orientation) before submitting an application for an SSN. 

    Last Updated: July 10, 2017