International Student and Scholar Mandatory Immigration Check-In
Check back soon for Fall 2022 orientation details!
International students with a summer 2022 program start date on their I-20/DS-2019 who are physically present in the U.S. are required to complete a mandatory orientation and immigration check-in with the Office of International Education (OIE). This includes:
- New summer 2022 admits who are physically present in the U.S. for the summer semester
- Return from leave students who are physically present in the U.S. for the summer semester
Students must complete the OIE online immigration check-in by Monday, May 16, 2022. Students are invited to attend the Summer 2022 OIE Welcome for International (and transfer) students which will take place on Friday, May 13, 2022, where there will be an opportunity to complete the check-in, if not already completed. More details to come.
Orientation Welcome Session
All new international students who will be joining us in Pittsburgh are invited to attend a Welcome Session with OIE Director Linda Gentile and the OIE staff. This session will include an introduction to the OIE office and services.
In-Person Welcome Session for International Students: Friday, May 13, in Doherty Hall, Room 1212, at 9:00 am.
- Registration is not required.
- All international students are welcome, but not required, to attend the session.
Mandatory International Student Orientation and Check-In
Orientation & Immigration Check-In: Begins mid-May
students who will be physically present in the U.S.
The orientation and check-in is mandatory for non-immigrant international students on Carnegie Mellon’s visa documents (F-1 or J-1 status) and who are physically present in the U.S.
HOW TO COMPLETE THE MANDATORY CHECK-IN REQUIREMENT WITH OIE:
Students are encouraged to complete these requirements as soon as possible after their arrival to the U.S:
- Complete the Canvas Course and Pass Quiz
- The canvas course will become available in early May.
- Instructions for accessing the Canvas course will be emailed to students in April.
- This step can be completed overseas.
- Submit the Mandatory Immigration Check-In for New/Return from Leave Students e-Form in the MyOIE Portal
- The e-Form titled "Mandatory Immigration Check-In for New/Return from Leave Students" will become available to submit in early May.
- This step can ONLY be completed after the student has arrived to the U.S.
Once all components of the orientation course have been successfully completed and the e-Form has been submitted, the student's SEVIS record will be activated by OIE. Students are encouraged to submit the e-Form as soon as possible after arrival in the U.S.
Transfer students in the U.S. for the summer semester must complete the International Student Orientation and Check-In session (see above).
*Note: Transfer students will need to submit not only a copy of their most recent I-94, but also their travel history, as part of their MyOIE e-Form submission. When submitting these documents, we ask that you upload these two separate documents into one PDF file. Refer to these Adobe Acrobat instructions if you are unsure of how to merge these files.
Return from Leave of Absence (RLOA) Orientation
Students who are returning to CMU after a brief period of absence from their CMU program, must complete the International Student Orientation and Check-In (see above).
OIE will contact all RLOA International Students by emailing their Andrew email accounts the mandatory orientation session and check-in.
RLOA students must also complete the Mandatory Immigration Check-In for New/Return from Leave Students E-Form in their MyOIE Portal.
Visiting J-1 Scholar Orientation
The OIE Scholar Orientation is held remotely on most Thursdays and will always start at exactly 1 p.m. (EST).
At orientation, OIE will review the required immigration information (pdf), as well as campus and local resources. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register to attend an orientation session. After you have registered, OIE will email you prior to the orientation session with Zoom details.
All J-1 visitors are required to attend the virtual OIE Scholar Orientation session. The following documents must be emailed to OIE prior to the session.
- Completed International Scholar Data Form (pdf)
- Photocopy of your DS-2019
- Photocopy of your passport (identification page only)
- Photocopy of J-1 visa in passport
- Photocopy of passport page with port of entry stamp if available
- I-94 record (Note: This document can only be printed after entry to the US)
- Signed J-1 Scholar Insurance Agreement (pdf)