International Student Orientation
Check back later this spring for Fall 2021 orientation details!
International students with a summer 2021 program start date on their I-20/DS-2019 who are physically present in the U.S. are required to complete a mandatory orientation and immigration check-in with the Office of International Education (OIE). This includes:
- Fall 2020 or spring 2021 admits who began their program remotely overseas who are physically present in the U.S. for the summer semester
- New summer 2021 admits who are physically present in the U.S. for the summer semester
- Return from leave students who are physically present in the U.S. for the summer semester
The summer 2021 OIE orientation for international (and transfer) students will take place remotely - see "International Student Orientation" below:
Orientation Welcome Session
Welcome Session: Thursday, May 20 at 10:30am.
All new international students are invited to attend a virtual, live Welcome Session with OIE Director Linda Gentile and the OIE staff at 10:30 a.m. (EST), Thursday, May 20 via Zoom. This session will include an introduction to the OIE office and services, remote orientation details, and answers to some frequently asked questions about the spring semester. Session details:
- Registration is not required.
- OIE will send an email to all new students that will contain the Zoom link.
- On the scheduled date and time, log in to the Zoom session with your AndrewID.
- All international students are welcome, but not required, to attend the session.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Mandatory International Student Orientation and Check-In
Orientation & Immigration Check-In: Begins Early May
students who will be physically present in the U.S.
The orientation and check-in is mandatory for non-immigrant international students on Carnegie Mellon’s visa documents (F-1 or J-1 status) and who are physically present in the U.S. For summer 2021, orientation and check-in will be offered remotely via the learning management platform, Canvas.
The Canvas course will become available in early May. Students must sign-up and complete the entire orientation course and pass the quiz. The link to sign up for the course will be sent to new students by email. As part of completing the orientation course, students will also be required to complete the Newly Admitted Student Arrival e-Form in their MyOIE portal. Once all components of the orientation course have been successfully completed and the e-Form has been submitted, the student's SEVIS record will be activated by OIE.
Students are encouraged to complete the canvas course as soon as possible after their arrival to the U.S.
Transfer students in the U.S. for the summer semester must complete the remote International Student Orientation and Check-In session (see above).
*Note: Transfer students will need to submit not only a copy of their most recent I-94, but also their travel history, as part of their MyOIE e-Form submission. When submitting these documents, we ask that you upload these two separate documents into one PDF file. Refer to these Adobe Acrobat instructions if you are unsure of how to merge these files.
Return from Leave of Absence (RLOA) Orientation
Students who are returning to CMU after a brief period of absence from their CMU program, must complete the remote International Student Orientation and Check-In session (see above).
OIE will contact all RLOA International Students by emailing their Andrew email accounts the mandatory orientation session and check-in. For summer 2021, this session will be delivered remotely.
RLOA students must also complete the Newly Admitted Student Arrival E-Form in their MyOIE Portal.
Visiting Scholar Orientation
The OIE Scholar Orientation is held remotely on most Thursdays and will always start at exactly 1 p.m. (EST).
At orientation, OIE will review the required immigration information (pdf), as well as campus and local resources. Please call 412-268-5231 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register to attend an orientation session. After you have registered, OIE will email you prior to the orientation session with Zoom details.
All J-1 visitors are required to attend the virtual OIE Scholar Orientation session. The following documents must be emailed to OIE prior to the session:
- Original DS-2019 or H-1B approval notice
- Completed International Scholar Data Form (pdf)
- Photocopy of your DS-2019
- Photocopy of your passport (identification page only)
- Photocopy of J-1 visa in passport
- Photocopy of passport page with port of entry stamp
- I-94 record (Note: This document can only be printed after entry to the US)
- Signed J-1 Scholar Insurance Agreement (pdf)