International Student and Scholar Mandatory Immigration Check-In
International students with a spring 2022 program start date on their I-20/DS-2019 who are physically present in the U.S. are required to complete a mandatory orientation and immigration check-in with the Office of International Education (OIE). This includes:
- New spring 2022 admits who are physically present in the U.S. for the spring semester.
- Fall 2021 admits who began their program remotely overseas who are physically present in the U.S. for the spring 2022 semester
- Return from leave students who are physically present in the U.S. for the spring semester
The spring 2022 OIE immigration check-in for international (and transfer) students will take place remotely - see "Mandatory International Student Orientation and Check-In" below:
Orientation Welcome Session
All new international students who will be joining us in Pittsburgh are invited to attend a live Welcome Session with OIE Director Linda Gentile and the OIE staff. This session will include an introduction to the OIE office and services and remote orientation details. Session details:
Welcome Session for International Students: 10 a.m. (EST), Friday, January 14. This session will be held in McConomy Auditorium, Cohon University Center.
- Registration is not required.
- OIE plans to record this session and include it in the Canvas orientation course for those who are unable to join us in person.
- All international students are welcome, but not required, to attend the session.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Mandatory International Student Orientation and Check-In
Orientation & Immigration Check-In: Begins mid-December
students who will be physically present in the U.S.
The orientation and check-in is mandatory for non-immigrant international students on Carnegie Mellon’s visa documents (F-1 or J-1 status) and who are physically present in the U.S.
For spring 2022, orientation and check-in will be offered remotely.
HOW TO COMPLETE THE MANDATORY CHECK-IN REQUIREMENT WITH OIE:
Students are encouraged to complete these requirements as soon as possible after their arrival to the U.S:
- Complete the Canvas Course and Pass Quiz
- The canvas course will become available in mid-December
- Instructions for accessing the Canvas course will be emailed to students in early December.
- This step can be completed overseas.
- Submit the Newly Admitted Arrival e-Form in the MyOIE Portal
- The e-Form will become available to submit in mid-December.
- This step can ONLY be completed after the student has arrived to the U.S.
Transfer students in the U.S. for the spring semester must complete the remote International Student Orientation and Check-In session (see above).
*Note: Transfer students will need to submit not only a copy of their most recent I-94, but also their travel history, as part of their MyOIE e-Form submission. When submitting these documents, we ask that you upload these two separate documents into one PDF file. Refer to these Adobe Acrobat instructions if you are unsure of how to merge these files.
Return from Leave of Absence (RLOA) Orientation
Students who are returning to CMU after a brief period of absence from their CMU program, must complete the remote International Student Orientation and Check-In session (see above).
OIE will contact all RLOA International Students by emailing their Andrew email accounts the mandatory orientation session and check-in. For spring 2022, this session will be delivered remotely.
RLOA students must also complete the Newly Admitted Student Arrival E-Form in their MyOIE Portal.
Visiting J-1 Scholar Orientation
The OIE Scholar Orientation is held remotely on most Thursdays and will always start at exactly 1 p.m. (EST).
At orientation, OIE will review the required immigration information (pdf), as well as campus and local resources. Please call 412-268-5231 or email email@example.com to register to attend an orientation session. After you have registered, OIE will email you prior to the orientation session with Zoom details.
All J-1 visitors are required to attend the virtual OIE Scholar Orientation session. The following documents must be emailed to OIE prior to the session.
- Completed International Scholar Data Form (pdf)
- Photocopy of your DS-2019
- Photocopy of your passport (identification page only)
- Photocopy of J-1 visa in passport
- Photocopy of passport page with port of entry stamp if available
- I-94 record (Note: This document can only be printed after entry to the US)
- Signed J-1 Scholar Insurance Agreement (pdf)