International Student Mandatory Immigration Check-In
International students with a fall 2021 program start date on their I-20/DS-2019 who are physically present in the U.S. are required to complete a mandatory orientation and immigration check-in with the Office of International Education (OIE). This includes:
- Fall 2020 or spring 2021 admits who began their program remotely overseas who are physically present in the U.S. for the fall 2021 semester
- New fall 2021 admits who are physically present in the U.S. for the fall semester
- Return from leave students who are physically present in the U.S. for the fall semester
The fall 2021 OIE immigration check-in for international (and transfer) students will take place remotely - see "Mandatory International Student Orientation and Check-In" below:
Orientation Welcome Session
Welcome Sessions via Zoom
All new international students are invited to attend a virtual, live Welcome Session with OIE Director Linda Gentile and the OIE staff. This session will include an introduction to the OIE office and services, remote orientation details, and answers to some frequently asked questions about the fall semester. Session details:
Welcome Session for Graduate Students: 10 a.m. (EST), Wednesday, August 18 via Zoom.
Welcome Session for Undergraduate Students: Time TBD, Sunday, August 22 via Zoom.
- Registration is not required.
- OIE will send an email to all new students that will contain the Zoom link.
- On the scheduled date and time, log in to the Zoom session with your AndrewID.
- All international students are welcome, but not required, to attend the session.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Mandatory International Student Orientation and Check-In
Orientation & Immigration Check-In: Begins Early August
students who will be physically present in the U.S.
The orientation and check-in is mandatory for non-immigrant international students on Carnegie Mellon’s visa documents (F-1 or J-1 status) and who are physically present in the U.S.
For fall 2021, orientation and check-in will be offered remotely.
HOW TO COMPLETE THE MANDATORY CHECK-IN REQUIREMENT WITH OIE:
Students are encouraged to complete these requirements as soon as possible after their arrival to the U.S:
- Complete the Canvas Course and Pass Quiz
- The canvas course will become available in early August
- The link to sign up for the course will be sent to new students by email later this summer.
- This step can be completed overseas.
- Submit the Newly Admitted Arrival e-Form in the MyOIE Portal
- The e-Form will become available to submit in early August
- This step can ONLY be completed after the student has arrived to the U.S.
Transfer students in the U.S. for the fall semester must complete the remote International Student Orientation and Check-In session (see above).
*Note: Transfer students will need to submit not only a copy of their most recent I-94, but also their travel history, as part of their MyOIE e-Form submission. When submitting these documents, we ask that you upload these two separate documents into one PDF file. Refer to these Adobe Acrobat instructions if you are unsure of how to merge these files.
Return from Leave of Absence (RLOA) Orientation
Students who are returning to CMU after a brief period of absence from their CMU program, must complete the remote International Student Orientation and Check-In session (see above).
OIE will contact all RLOA International Students by emailing their Andrew email accounts the mandatory orientation session and check-in. For fall 2021, this session will be delivered remotely.
RLOA students must also complete the Newly Admitted Student Arrival E-Form in their MyOIE Portal.
Visiting J-1 Scholar Orientation
The OIE Scholar Orientation is held remotely on most Thursdays and will always start at exactly 1 p.m. (EST).
At orientation, OIE will review the required immigration information (pdf), as well as campus and local resources. Please call 412-268-5231 or email email@example.com to register to attend an orientation session. After you have registered, OIE will email you prior to the orientation session with Zoom details.
All J-1 visitors are required to attend the virtual OIE Scholar Orientation session. The following documents must be emailed to OIE prior to the session.
- Completed International Scholar Data Form (pdf)
- Photocopy of your DS-2019
- Photocopy of your passport (identification page only)
- Photocopy of J-1 visa in passport
- Photocopy of passport page with port of entry stamp if available
- I-94 record (Note: This document can only be printed after entry to the US)
- Signed J-1 Scholar Insurance Agreement (pdf)