Are you graduating in May?-Office of International Education - Carnegie Mellon University

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Are you graduating in May?

Dear International Students,

This is a reminder to those of you who are completing programs at Carnegie Mellon this semester.  Following are the four options you have for maintaining legal immigration status upon program completion.

1. APPLY FOR WORK AUTHORIZATION, if you have not already done so.  You must apply for work authorization BEFORE you complete your program.  Employment information is available on the OIE web site at:
Please review this information, prepare the necessary documents and call OIE to be scheduled for an OPT session or an appointment with an OIE advisor for J1 students.
2. OBTAIN A NEW CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY (I-20 or DS-2019) for another academic program in the U.S. F-1 students can use their 60 day grace period to get a new certificate of eligibility for a new school or program and enroll in the new program within 5 months. J-1 students must get a new certificate of eligibility before the end date of their program; the 30 day grace period can’t be used.

***If you will change to a new level or program of study at Carnegie Mellon, you must request an updated I-20 or DS-2019 from OIE - even if the dates are still valid on your current document.***

If you do not apply for work authorization or obtain a new certificate of eligibility, one of the following must be completed within

-60 days of completion for F-1 students-
-30 days of completion for J-1 students-


4. APPLY FOR A CHANGE OF STATUS to another immigration status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Remember, once you complete your program, it is a status violation to use your current I-20 or DS-2019 to enter the U.S.--even if the dates are still valid--unless you have received work authorization.

Best wishes to those of you that are graduating!  Please feel free to contact your Foreign Student Advisor with any questions or concerns about this message.

Nesli, Linda and Jennifer
Foreign Student Advisors

Office of International Education
Carnegie Mellon University
Third Floor, Warner Hall
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Phone: (412) 268-5231
Fax: (412) 268-7832

Updated 3/19/2008