Carnegie Mellon University

Immigration & International Travel

Here you'll find government resources and links related to immigration and international travel, including USCIS, SEVIS, Visas, and embassy information.

Government Agency Resources

US Citizenship and Immigration Services/Department of Homeland Security (USCIS)

This US federal government agency is responsible for the granting of non-immigrant benefits such as work authorization and change of status.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)

This branch of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) facilitates SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System).

Customs and Border Protection (CBP)

This branch of DHS manages ports of entry and customs issues.

Department of State

This is the branch of US government responsible for all foreign policy issues.

Department of State, Consular Affairs

This government agency is responsible for all consular and visa issues.

Department of State, Bureau of Educational & Cultural Affairs

This government agency is responsible for J-1 student and scholar issues.

Foreign Embassies

List of foreign embassies in the US.

US Embassies

List of US Embassies and Consulates abroad.

Pre-Approved Immigration Attorneys

Carnegie Mellon has designated some pre-approved attorneys to represent the university and foreign employees to the USCIS for non-immigrant petitions (i.e., H-1B, TN, O-1) and immigration petitions (i.e., green card petitions).  

View more information and a contact list of immigration attorneys