Travel Advice-Office of International Education - Carnegie Mellon University

Travel Advice

General Overview

J-1 scholars and employees in H-1B status should carry specific documentation when travelling outside the US. This handout discusses (1) travel to a country which is not your home country, (2) applying for a new or renewal visa overseas (if needed), and (2) what to carry for return to the US. In order to reenter the US using your Carnegie Mellon DS-2019 (for those in J status) or H-1B documents, you must be currently affiliated with the University and be planning to continue your employment or formal affiliation with the University immediately upon your return to the US.  NOTE:  nonimmigrants should also carry their immigration documents/proof of status when traveling domestically, also, in case there would be a need to prove your legal status.

Last Updated On: February 9, 2017