J-1 Academic Training-Office of International Education - Carnegie Mellon University

J-1 Academic Training

Carnegie Mellon University welcomes new employees who are J-1 students on academic training. In some cases, employees are Carnegie Mellon students and, in other cases, employees are from other US institutions.

OIE encourages J-1 students on academic training to attend OIE's weekly New Scholar Orientation sessions held each week on Thursday, from 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM. Call OIE at (412) 268-5231 for more information or to schedule attendance. J-1 students on academic training should bring their passport with I-94 and DS-2019 to the meeting.

OIE will provide general support and assistance to J-1 students working at the institution. For students who were CMU students using documents printed by the OIE, OIE will continue to sign the DS-2019 and provide other J-1 support as before. Students from other institutions will need to contact their home institution or sponsoring agency regarding policies and procedures.

J-1 students in academic training may consult with an OIE Advisor regarding a change of status to H1B or other non-immigrant status. However, the 2 year home residency rule is a barrier to receiving H1B status until the rule has been satisfied.

For specific information on how to obtain work authorization, Carnegie Mellon students should explore the student employment portion of the OIE website or meet with an OIE Advisor.

Last Updated On: January 10, 2017