Obtaining A Social Security Number-Office of International Education - Carnegie Mellon University

Obtaining a Social Security Number

As with all employees in the US, employees in J-1 status must have a valid US Social Security Number (SSN) in order for the Payroll office to process payment. Even those who will not receive pay in the US will find it convenient to have an SSN. You must apply in person at a nearby Social Security Administration (SSA) office to obtain a Social Security Number. You must apply at least 10 days after you have entered the US and after you have attended scholar orientation at the Office of International Education (OIE). It takes approximately 10 days for your entry into the US to be recorded in the immigration database. The SSA must check this database before they can assign a number to you. You must take your passport, DS-2019, I-94 record (downloadable from www.cbp.gov/i94) and the SSN application (SS-5) when you go to the SSA office.

More detailed instructions and applications for the Social Security Number are available in OIE, Warner 3rd floor, or on OIE's Social Security Application Instructions.

Last updated:  December 17, 2016