Foreign Scholars-Office of International Education - Carnegie Mellon University

Foreign Scholars Information Directory

Coming to Carnegie Mellon

New visiting scholars, professors, researchers and workers use this practical information to plan the move to CMU and Pittsburgh.

Settling in Guides

Welcome to Pittsburgh! Here is a Settling in Guide to help you prepare for your arrival.

Arriving at Carnegie Mellon

What to do when you first arrive at the Pittsburgh airport and the University campus.

J-1 Exchange Visitors

Most visiting enter the US in J-1 status. General information is provided here about J-1 research scholar, professors and short-term scholars including arrival, work and maintenance of legal J-1.

H-1B Workers

Information is provided here about arrival, work, and maintenance of legal status for H-1B specialty occupation workers.

Other Work Categories

Details are provided about working in B, F-1, J-1, J-2, O, and TN statuses and obtaining Permanent Residency.

Travel Advice

Travel in and out of the US. Visa issues and other documentation for non-immigrants.

Leaving Carnegie Mellon

OIE advice before leaving.

Government Agency Resources

How to obtain a Pennsylvania driver’s license and other helpful information is included here.

Last Updated On: December 19, 2016