Carnegie Mellon University

Coming to Carnegie Mellon

Below are the steps you will need to take once you are accepted to Carnegie Mellon University:

Undergraduates who are accepted will receive an offer letter from the Office of Admission; the Acceptance of Admission form must be returned to the Office of Admission.

Graduate students who are accepted will receive a letter of acceptance from their academic department. The department must be informed of your enrollment plans by the preferred method outlined in the letter of acceptance.

With the offer of admission, you must submit the required forms that all international students must complete in order to receive their Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) from Carnegie Mellon. Students will receive instructions on how to complete the "New Student Initial Document Request" e-Form on the MyOIE portal. 

US government regulations require that in order to qualify for non-immigrant student status, you must prove the availability of sufficient funding to meet your expenses for the first year of study and have a reasonable expectation that the same level of support will be available in subsequent years. Therefore, you should consider how you will fund your studies for the entire length of your program.

Expenses for Pittsburgh campus: 2020-2021:

Undergraduate Expenses

  • Tuition

  • Fees

  • Room & Board

  • Health Insurance

  • Books + Supplies

  • $57,560

  • $1,364

  • $15,550

  • $2,889

  • $2,400


Graduate Expenses

  • Tuition

  • Fees

  • Room & Board

  • Health Insurance

  • Books + Supplies

  • Contact Academic Department

  • $906

  • $22,710

  • $3,021

  • $2,212

$28, 849 + Tuition

Dependent Expenses (if applicable)

  • Spouse

  • One child

  • Each additional child

  • $9,492

  • $7,272

  • $4,428

Expenses for Silicon Valley campus: 2020-2021:

Graduate Expenses

  • Tuition

  • Fees

  • Room & Board

  • Health Insurance

  • Books + Supplies

  • Contact Academic Department

  • $906

  • $26,798

  • $3,021

  • $2,212

$32, 937 + Tuition

Expenses for New York campus: 2020-2021:

Graduate Expenses

  • Tuition

  • Fees

  • Room & Board

  • Health Insurance

  • Books + Supplies

  • Contact Academic Department

  • $440

  • $24,527

  • $3,021

  • $2,212

$30, 200 + Tuition

To demonstrate each source of your financial support, follow the instructions below. Keep one original copy of these documents for yourself; they may be needed when applying to the US Consulate or Embassy for a student visa and/or to present to border officials upon entry to the US.

Supporting financial documents MUST:

  1. Be in English
  2. Be the original documentation (no copies, faxes or scans)
  3. Be dated less than 6 months old
  4. Clearly state the name of the account holder
  5. Clearly state the amount of funding available in US dollars. If unable to obtain a statement or bank letter with US dollar value, OIE will convert the value upon review.

Acceptable Financial Documentation:

  • Bank Statement
  • Letter from a bank on bank letterhead
  • 50% of the value for stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and similar investments.
  • Notarized statements are accepted, but not required.

Unacceptable Financial Documentation

  • Neither the value of property nor the proposed sale of such property counts as evidence of financial support. 
  • OIE will not accept Chartered Accountant statements, life insurance policies or retirement accounts. 
  • Public Provident Funds (PPF) are considered retirement funds and are not acceptable unless the letter from the PPF clearly states a specific amount available for educational purposes.

If there are any questions or if further documentation is necessary, our staff will contact you directly. 

Source of Funds

Documentation Required

Carnegie Mellon University

Copy of award letter

Other Scholarship

Original letter from the agency awarding the scholarship, indicating your name as the award recipient, and indicating the precise amount awarded, the duration of the award, and other terms of the award. The letter must be dated no more than six months in the past.

Personal Funds

  • Original acceptable financial documentation clearly stating your name, the current available balance and type of currency. (If not in US dollar value, OIE will convert upon review.)
  • An educational loan is acceptable for financial support.  The official letter from the loan-issuing agency must be on loan agency letterhead.  The letter needs to clearly indicate the loan as ‘approved’ or ‘sanctioned.’

Family/Private Sponsor 

  1. Affidavit(s) of Financial Support, signed and dated by the sponsor(s), indicating the precise amount of financial support promised to the student for each year/years of the students academic program at Carnegie Mellon University.
  2. Acceptable Financial Support from a Sponsor is:
    • Bank Statement
    • Letter from a bank on bank letterhead
    • 50% of the value for stocks, bonds, mutual funds, certificates of deposit, and similar investments.
    • Notarized statements are accepted, but not required. 

Both undergraduate and graduate students should complete all sections of the "New Student Initial Document Request" e-Form on the MyOIE portal.

If you are not currently in F-1 or J-1 status, you will need to pay the SEVIS fee (pdf) in order to obtain a student visa, enter the US in student status or change to student status. Information on SEVIS fee payment will also be included with your document from OIE. General information can be found on the Study in the States website. 

If you are a new student coming to Carnegie Mellon from overseas you should use the Carnegie Mellon DS-2019 or I-20 to apply for an entry visa at a United States Embassy or Consulate nearest your place of residence. You should be prepared to present proof of finances and to talk about your future intent to return to your home country (e.g. proof of property, family and/or job or job opportunity in your home country) after your program completion, both at the Embassy/Consulate and at the US Port of Entry.

Citizens of Canada and Bermuda do not require entry visas for study in the US, but must present the I-20 or DS-2019 and financial information when entering the US. Landed immigrants of Canada must travel with a passport and obtain a US visa in order to enter the US.

Comprehensive information on applying for a US visa is available on the US Department of State web site. In particular, you may wish to consult the visa wait times or the individual consular websites for post-specific visa application procedures.  We also encourage you to review this list of ten points to remember when for applying for your visa.

In case of a denial, ask that the reason be given to you in writing before you leave the consulate. This way you can address the US Embassy/Consulate's concerns if and when you return for a second interview. Additionally, in case of a denial, contact Office of International Education for advice and new forms, if necessary, BEFORE returning to the US Embassy/Consulate.

Some visa applicants may be subject to security clearance checks. These checks may take 4 to 6 weeks to be processed. If you are notified that your visa application will be delayed because of "Administrative Processing" or "Security Clearance," please email the Office of International Education with: 

  1. Your Name and Date of Birth, as they appear on your passport
  2. A copy of the notice, as soon as you receive this notice from the Embassy/Consulate
  3. The date you applied for the visa
  4. The US Embassy/Consulate location at which you applied 
  5. Your passport number

Documents to Carry for Entry to the US

Valid Passport

Your passport must be valid at all times and at least 6 months into the future to enter the US.

Valid I-20 or DS-2019

The I-20/DS-2019 needs to be from the school you are attending or will attend upon entry. The document will not have a travel signature until you attend OIE orientation after arrival into the US. 

Valid US Entry Visa Sticker

The US Entry Visa Sticker must have an expiration date in the future and a valid entry/multiple entries. Canadian citizens are exempt from entry visa requirements but must enter the US with a passport.

1-901 SEVIS Fee Payment Confirmation

You may also be asked to present confirmation that you paid the I-901 SEVIS fee. You can print out a copy of this confirmation on the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) website. 

Admission Letter 

OIE recommends that you also include the following documents in your carry-on and present them only if asked: 

Financial Documentation/Proof of Necessary Funds Plus Expenses

Finances may be demonstrated by:

  1. A letter from your department stating the amount of funding you are receiving, or
  2. A letter from another financial sponsor stating the amount they are giving you, plus supporting financial documents, such as bank statements or salary statements. Personal funds can be demonstrated with relevant supporting documents.

Arriving in the US 

Upon your arrival in the US, you will have your fingerprints scanned and your photograph taken at the Port of Entry. A Customs and Border Protection Officer should then inspect your I-20 or DS-2019 and stamp your passport with an entry stamp that should include the notation "F-1 D/S" or "J-1 D/S."

If you plan to enter the US in a status other than F-1 or J-1, OIE recommends that you consult with our advisors prior to traveling to the US to ensure that there are no immigration restrictions on your ability to study at Carnegie Mellon University.

Do NOT seek to enter the US on a B-1/B-2 visa or under the Visa Waiver program (WT) if you plan to study in the US. Immigration regulations prohibit B-1/B-2 visitors from beginning a course of study in the US.

**After your arrival into the US, you should print and save your I-94 record and check to make sure that the information is correct.**

Immigration Transfer

If you are currently an F-1 or J-1 student at a school in the US you must request that your SEVIS Record "be released" to Carnegie Mellon University. Print the "Transfer In Form (.pdf)" and follow the instructions. Your current I-20 or DS-2019 institutional sponsor (i.e. university or high school) will initiate the SEVIS transfer to Carnegie Mellon. However, this should not be done until you have completed your current academic program and/or any authorized post-completion employment and are admitted to Carnegie Mellon. Once your SEVIS record is released any work authorization based on your previous degree program is canceled. 

If your F or J visa has expired, and you plan to depart the US after completing your previous program and re-enter to attend Carnegie Mellon University, then you MUST apply for a new visa before you re-enter the US. See Apply for a US Visa section above.

If you plan to depart the US and your F or J visa is valid, you may use your unexpired visa and your I-20/DS-2019 issued by OIE to re-enter the US to attend Carnegie Mellon University.  

If you are not in F or J status

If you are currently in the US in another immigration status, please contact OIE ( to discuss your options.

Changing Visa Status

Individuals who are currently in the US in a visa status other than F-1 or J-1 may want or need to change to an F-1 or J-1 student status to study at Carnegie Mellon. If you will travel internationally prior to coming to Carnegie Mellon, you can change your status by applying for an F-1 or J-1 visa at a US Consulate or Embassy abroad and re-entering the US in the new status. Refer to the OIE handout on Change of Status (.pdf) for more details.

Those who do not plan to travel may apply to US Citizenship and Immigration Services for a change of status. Instructions will be provided with your I-20 or DS-2019 form. Please be sure to indicate your current status on the International Student Information Form so that OIE can provide you with the appropriate instructions and advice.

Those who are considering a change of status are strongly encouraged to discuss their situation with an OIE Advisor. Phone appointments are available for those who cannot come to campus.  Call (412) 268-5231 to set up a phone appointment.

Upon Arrival...

Attend International Student Orientation

All new, incoming international students are REQUIRED to attend the International Student Orientation. OIE offers separate orientation programs for undergraduate and graduate students in August prior to the beginning of each academic year. Spring and summer orientations are offered in January and May. Additional information about orientation programs will be included with your immigration document, and additional information can be found here.

If you are not an international student but a US Permanent Resident (green card holder) or a US Citizen who has lived abroad, you are welcome to attend International Student Orientation. Those interested may send an email to

Enroll in English Language Training & Support

The Intercultural Communication Center (ICC) provides language training and support for all Carnegie Mellon University students who are nonnative English speakers (including international students, permanent residents and US citizens, students who attended high school in the US, and speakers of other varieties of English) and language placement for new students. There is also an option for an intensive summer language program for incoming graduate students.

Return from Leave of Absence

If you are returning from a leave of absence, you are required to follow the instructions below.

Undergraduate Students

  1. Contact The HUB and submit a petition for a "Return from Leave" to the University's Registrar's Office.
  2. Complete the "New Student Initial Document Request" e-Form in the MyOIE portal, with the required financial statements for processing of a new Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019). 

Graduate Students

  1. Contact your Academic Department (Graduate) for approval to return.
  2. Complete the "New Student Initial Document Request" e-Form in the MyOIE portal, with the required financial statements for processing of a new Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019). 

Consult OIE's Leave of Absence and Immigration Status (pdf) document for further information.

Non-Degree Studies

Non-immigrant visa documents (I-20s or DS-2019s) will only be issued for students admitted to Carnegie Mellon University to pursue a specific educational objective, such as a degree program or to participate in a formal exchange. Students who register as non-degree students at Carnegie Mellon are NOT eligible to receive immigration documents (including the I-20 and DS-2019 forms).

Exchange Students

Exchange students may attend Carnegie Mellon University on a non-degree basis for one or two semesters. In order to attend, the student's home institution must have a signed, formal exchange agreement with Carnegie Mellon University. The home institution will provide the necessary application forms for the student to complete. OIE will issue the necessary immigration document upon receipt of the completed paperwork from the home institution and approval from the Carnegie Mellon host department.