Government Agency Resources-Office of International Education - Carnegie Mellon University

Government Agency Resources

Immigration and International Travel
Links to the USCIS, Department of State and other government resources you'll find helpful during your time in the US.

Driver's Licenses and State Identification (ID)
A driver’s license can be a helpful form of ID and is required if you will drive in the US. Includes instructions on how to apply for a Pennsylvania (PA) driver’s license and State ID.  OIE also has developed a step-by-step chart of the PA driver's license/state id process.

Social Security
If you plan to work in the US, a Social Security number is required. The OIE SSN Handout includes instructions on how to apply for a Social Security number in Pittsburgh.

Last Updated On: January 10, 2017