Immigration & Government Resources-Office of International Education - Carnegie Mellon University

Immigration & Government Resources

US Citizenship and Immigration Services/Department of Homeland Security (USCIS): This US federal government agency is responsible for the granting of non-immigrant benefits in the US such as work authorization and change of status.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE): This branch of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is responsible for SEVIS:  the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System.

SEVIS Fee Information: Details on the SEVIS Fee including how to pay the Fee and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on many related issues.

Customs and Border Protection (CBP): This branch of DHS manages ports of entry and customs issues.

Department of State: Branch of US government responsible for all foreign policy issues.

Department of State, Consular Affairs: Branch of State Department responsible for all consular and visa issues.

Department of State, Bureau of Educational & Cultural Affairs: Government agency responsible for J-1 student and scholar issues.

  • J Visa Waiver, application instructions for applying for a waiver of the 2 year home residence requirement, including frequently asked questions about waivers

Foreign Embassies: List of foreign Embassies in the US.

US Embassies: List of US Embassies and Consulates abroad.

Pre-approved Immigration Attorneys. Carnegie Mellon has designated a few pre-approved attorneys to represent the University and foreign employees to the USCIS for non-immigrant petitions (such as H-1B, TN, O-1, etc.) and immigration petitions (for example, green card petitions).  

For more information and a contact list of immigration attorneys, read the OIE handout.

Last Updated On: July 10, 2017