The National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) at Carnegie Mellon University has a unique opportunity for a Senior Technician. As a Senior Technician, you would assist in the research, development, and implementation of electronic control systems. Additionally, you would be responsible for the independent operation, maintenance, repair and modification of a wide variety of complex equipment used in complex robotic systems. Your work would be highly visible, and you would have the chance to work in cross functional teams across NREC.
- Design layout of electronic packaging and wiring systems.
- Build, install, and troubleshoot delicate electronic and electrical systems.
- PCBA assembly and rework.
- Fabricate electronic hardware.
- Monitor stock of fabrication and repair materials.
- Keep a clean and organized inventory/work space.
- Associates degree and 3-5 years of electronic assembly work experience.
- Experience assembling and fabricating electronic components and cabinets.
- Proficient troubleshooting skills, including familiarity with multimeter operation and function.
- Technical communication skills.
- Finesse to work with assembly of delicate precision electro-mechanical sub-systems.
- Requires wide range of mobility, i.e., ability to climb, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, reach, bend at waist, grasp and pick up objects, maneuver in cramped areas, perform minor repairs to equipment, stand for long periods of time, lift and carry equipment and other heavy materials up to 50 lbs. up stairs and pull and push carts up to 150 lbs.
You will have an impact on shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly
- Make hazardous jobs safer
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 60 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 20+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real-world challenges where automation and robots have a greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping, and position estimation. With over 120 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.