Senior Robotics Engineer - Planning/Controls
What we are looking for:
NREC is looking for a senior robotics engineer specializing in planning/controls who can help our team make autonomous drones a reality. We’re working on challenging problems that apply state of the art research in path planning, computer vision, 3D data processing, sensor fusion, machine learning, and other techniques to real-world outdoor robotic systems. We emphasize regular field testing working with the robots we build. We’re looking for a research engineer with experience in autonomous drones to help take this research to the real world, robustly and safely.
NREC has been working on autonomous systems for over 20 years. This includes self-driving vehicles, supervised autonomous manipulation, and other types of closed-loop vision applications in agricultural, mining, defense, and manufacturing sectors. NREC has also been working in application of Augmented Reality for 10 years, recently in humanitarian and driver assistance domains.
- Design, implement, simulate, evaluate, and test motion planning strategies for autonomous drones.
- Develop, tune, and evaluate low level controllers.
- Surveying literature and implementing state-of-the-art techniques to take on challenging problems.
- Adapt and integrate proprietary and open source software packages and APIs.
- Participate in the software process: design, code reviews, etc.
- Create and maintain development tools and infrastructure for robotic systems.
- Develop, document, and direct software system testing, and verification procedures.
- Integrate custom and COTS hardware components: sensors, controllers, networking, etc.
- Support manufacturing with hardware requirements and technology integration.
- Mentoring and supporting other specialists.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent experience (Ph.D. preferred).
- At least 5 years combined graduate academic and professional engineering or software development experience.
- Experience writing software that controls real hardware (e.g. robotic arms, mobile robots), preferably drones.
- Strong C++ skills.
- Experience with scripting languages for quick prototyping of autonomy applications (Python preferred).
- Linux development experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to participate in a cross-functional team.
- Proficient in motion planning algorithms and libraries.
- Familiarity with motion planning libraries (e.g. OMPL, STOMP, SBPL, CHOMP).
We want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:
- 10+ years combined graduate academic and professional engineering or software development experience.
- Experience with any of the following:
- Real-time 3D trajectory planning and control algorithms.
- 6DoF flight control systems using classic, robust, or adaptive strategies.
- State estimation using inertial-visual sensors or GPS.
- Configuration and free space representations.
- Dynamic programming.
- Non-linear optimization.
- Embedded systems and real time applications.
- Networking interfaces and applications.
- Kinodynamic motion planning for drones.
You will have an impact on shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly
- Make hazardous jobs safer
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 60 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 20+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real-world challenges where automation and robots have a greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping, and position estimation. With over 120 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.