Senior Business Development Manager
We are looking for a self-starter to lead NREC’s expansion into new and existing commercial markets. In this position, you will be responsible for analyzing needs and opportunities and establishing relationships with decision makers in key organizations in each market. We need someone who can rapidly identify and qualify project opportunities within large commercial companies in target markets. You will collaborate with robotics researchers, engineering staff, and NREC leadership to define customer needs, present NREC capabilities, generate interests in funding R&D projects to address these needs, and lead the entire business development process until closure.
- Profile, qualify, and identify potential opportunities for robotics R&D projects within large market sectors and accounts in both industry and government. This includes conducting market research to understand trends, unmet needs and identifying the key players.
- Contact key players in these markets to promote NREC’s capabilities and generate interest.
- Qualify each opportunity to make sure the potential project would be a good fit for NREC and the company has sufficient financial resources and interest in funding a R&D project.
- Approach different types of industry players such as manufacturers and end-users to formulate the most favorable approach to funding projects that address the needs of the industry sector.
- Collaborate with NREC senior scientists and faculty as well as with the Associate Director of NREC to ensure that the business development strategy aligns with NREC core expertise and capabilities.
- Work with NREC’s Customer Relationship Management system to collect information about potential opportunities and potential sponsors.
- Provide weekly updates to the Associate Director on the pipeline of opportunities.
- Work closely with the Associate Director to prepare quarterly reports on opportunities.
- Support NREC’s marketing and branding effort.
- Organize and attend trade shows in targeted markets to generate new leads.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- 10-15 years of successful business development experience with an engineering, R&D, or technology services firm.
- Consistent track record of closing projects of $500k or more.
- Capability to lead and handle complex sales process to closure.
- Ability to reach to C-level executives and VP-level decision makers within Fortune 500 Companies.
- Understanding of intellectual property terms as well as other fundamental contractual terms.
- Familiarity with government contracting mechanisms and terms.
- Ability to profile and qualify large companies.
- Demonstrated analytical and strategic conceptual thinking skills with a solid ability to create and execute a strategic plan.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills (both verbal and written).
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to quickly learn market needs and robotics technology.
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Availability to travel both in U.S. and international (15-30% of time).
Note: this position may require access to export controlled material and is therefore restricted to U.S. Persons only (i.e. U.S. Citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents).
We want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:
- Experience selling R&D services.
- Experience in a non-profit environment, especially negotiating agreements within a non-profit organization.
- Deep understanding of robotics technology.
- Scientific or Engineering background.
You will have an impact in shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts,and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly
- Make hazardous jobs safer
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
Influence the direction of projects
- Have a say in your work schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 60 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader at the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 20+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real-world challenges where automation and robots have a greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping, and position estimation. With over 120 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.