What we are looking for:
The National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) at Carnegie Mellon University is looking for a data engineer to develop tools to support machine learning and data-intensive applications. We are people with a desire to make robust software using agile development processes. You will work on a variety of software for commercial and government organizations. You will bring together open-source, commercial, internal, and your own tools to support diverse data processing workflows. Some of our machine learning software keeps self-driving vehicles safe, automatically discovers new pharmaceuticals, and leads to less waste in agriculture. You will support programs in deep learning for agriculture, artificial intelligence for defense, and autonomous manipulation.
- Developing software for machine learning and data-science applications.
- Architecting big-data pipelines.
- Adapting and integrating proprietary and open source software packages and APIs.
- Data preparation, integration, verification.
- Participating in the software process: design, code reviews, etc.
- Developing, documenting, testing, and fixing software.
- Supporting development and acquisition of training and inference hardware.
- Development in a Linux environment.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, or Mathematics is required (Any more is a bonus).
- 3-5 years of relevant experience is required.
- Demonstrated understanding and use of software engineering concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Proficient development skills (Python preferred).
- Linux development experience.
- Technical communication skills.
- Ability to participate in a multi-disciplinary team.
We want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:
- Data infrastructure tools (SQL, NoSQL, data version control, etc.).
- MLOps tools (airflow, mlflow, etc.).
- High performance computing tools (Hadoop, AWS, Azure, etc.).
- Model training infrastructure tools (tensorflow, caffe, Petuum, etc.).
- Inference model deployment tools (Docker or other containerization, etc.).
- Cloud, high performance, and distributed computing.
- Ingestion and integration of disparate sources.
- Data processing (pre-processing, augmentation, post-processing).
- Tools and protocols for reproducible research and data analysis.
- Front end (Data visualization, exploration, labeling).
- Proficient Matlab or R skills.
- Proficient C or C++ skills.
- Professional software development processes.
- Networking interfaces and applications.
- Mixed software and hardware architecture.
- CMake, Valgrind, and other development tools.
- Computer vision, robotics, machine learning, scientific computing, simulation, or graphics.
You will have an impact on shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly
- Make hazardous jobs safer
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 60 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 20+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real-world challenges where automation and robots have a greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping, and position estimation. With over 120 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.