Graduate Student, Chemistry
Ph. D., Chemistry, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, United States
B.S., Chemistry, June 2017
California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo, California
Graduate Research Assistant
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
(7/2017 – Present) Advisor: Dr. Krzysztof Matyjaszewski
- Synthesized and characterized bottlebrush polymers and networks.
Undergraduate Research Assistant
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA
(10/2013 – 6/2017) Advisor: Dr. Philip J. Costanzo
- Synthesized Diels-Alder functionalized polyacrylates capable of performing shifts in molecular topology in response to temperature.
Future Leaders in American Materials (FLAM) MRSEC Intern
University of California, Santa Barbara Santa Barbara, CA
(6/2016 – 8/2016) Advisor: Dr. Craig J. Hawker
- Incorporated Donor-Acceptor Stenhouse Adducts (DASAs) onto polymer chains using Ring Opening Metathesis Polymerizations (ROMP).
Polymer Science & Engineering REU Intern
University of Akron, Akron, OH
(6/2015 – 8/2015) Advisor: Dr. Abraham Joy
- Synthesized thermoresponsive, biodegradable, coacervate forming polyesters and measured their LCST in response to cosalts, concentration, molecular weight, and composition.
- Swanson, J.P.; Martinez, M.R.; Cruz, M.A.; Mankoci, S.G.; Costanzo, P.J.; Joy, A. “A coacervate-forming biodegradable polyester with elevated LCST based on bis-(2-methoxyethyl)amine”, Polym. Chem., 2016, 7, 4693 DOI: 10.1039/c6py00814c
- 249th ACS National Meeting (Poster Session), Denver, CO, March 2015
- 12th Northeast Ohio Undergraduate Research Symposium (Poster Session), NASA Glenn Research Center, July 2015
- 251st ACS National Meeting (Oral Presentation), San Diego, CA, March 2016
- UCSB Summer Research Colloquium (Poster Session), Santa Barbara, CA, August 2016
- 2015 CALPACS ACS Undergraduate Travel Award
- 2016 ACS POLY IAB First Place Undergraduate Oral Presentation Award
- 2016 Golden Gate Sharkfest Swim – 1st Place Overall Male
- 2017 Cal Poly Research Award in Organic Chemistry
- 2017 Dr. Konrad M. Weis Fellowship in Chemistry