Transitioning to Silicon Valley
Students in the Pittsburgh-Silicon Valley bicoastal programs complete their studies at Carnegie Mellon University's Silicon Valley Campus (CMU-SV). In order to streamline the transition from Pittsburgh to Silicon Valley, the CMU-SV Student Affairs team has developed a checklist with necessary steps for housing, transportation and other logistics, as well as a set of recommendations.
MS30 Mandatory Checklist
Consider transportation, budget and roommates when finding housing in the local area.
2. CMU Health Insurance
4. Save the Date
When making your travel plans, keep in mind orientation week and the first day of classes.
- Orientation Week: August 19-August 23, 2019. Exact dates for each orientation event have yet to be determined.
- INI Mandatory Orientation: Friday, August 23, 2019
- First Day of Classes: Monday, August 26, 2019
5. Visit the DMV
Book your appointment online in advance to get your driver's license of California state identification.
- Planning on driving? In order to drive onto campus at Moffett Field, you need to show a CA driver's license.
- Sticking to public transportation, walking or biking? You will need to show the guard at the campus gate your CMU ID.
- If you do not have a social security number, there is an exception. Bring legal documents to the DMV, such as the I-94, passport and/or birth certificate.