Professor of the Practice, Software Management
Anthony I. (Tony) Wasserman has been a Professor in the Software Management program at Carnegie Mellon University's Silicon Valley campus since 2005. At CMU-SV, he created the Center for Open Source Investigation, a center that serves as a focus for his research.
Previously, Tony was the founder and CEO of Interactive Development Environments (IDE), a company that was one of the first 100 dot-coms and created the innovative multiuser platform for Software through Pictures (StP). He later served as VP of Engineering for a dot-com startup and as VP for Bluestone Software, a developer of a Java EE application server. His work at Bluestone included creating mobile web applications in 2000, as the very first smartphones were entering the marketplace. Early in his career, Tony was Professor of Medical Information Science at the University of California - San Francisco, leaving to start IDE.
Tony is a Life Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and a Fellow of the ACM, honored for his contributions to integrated software engineering environments. From 2010 to 2016, He served on the Board of Directors of the Open Source Initiative (OSI) and since 2015 has been the chair of IFIP Working Group 2.13 (Open Source Systems), a group belonging to the International Federation of Information Processing's Technical Committee on Programming. He is an advisor to several startups, has served as a judge at numerous startup competitions, and is a frequent speaker at both research and practitioner-oriented conferences around the world.
Tony has served as a Visiting Professor at the Vrije Universiteit (Amsterdam), the Université de Genève, and the National University of Singapore. He has visited more than 70 countries. Tony enjoys photography and posts many of his photos on Flickr.
Areas of Expertise
- Software engineering
- Open Source software
- Software development methods & tools
- Product marketing & management
Integrated Innovation Courses
- Requirements Analysis
- Product Definition and Validation
- The First-Time Manager
- Software Management Capstone Project
- Software Product Strategy
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Computer Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics and Physics, University of California, Berkeley
- OSSpal - Identifying high-quality open source software
- Life Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Distinguished Educator Award, IEEE Technical Council on Software Engineering (2012)
- Fellow, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Influential Educator Award, ACM's Special Interest Group on Software Engineering (2013)
- Silver Core Award, International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP)
- Stevens Award
A partial list of publications:
- Gralha, C., Damian, D., Wasserman, A.I., Goulao, M., and Araujo, J., "The Evolution of Requirements Practices in Software Startups", submitted for publication, 2017.
- Wasserman, A.I., et al., "OSSpal: Finding and Evaluating Open Source Software," in Open Source Systems: Toward Robust Practices, ed. F. Balaguer et al., Springer Verlag, 2017, pp.193-203.
- Wasserman, A.I., “Low Ceremony Processes for Short Lifecycle Processes,” in Managing Software Process Management, ed. M. Kuhrmann et al., Springer Verlag, 2016, pp. 1-13.
- Wasserman, A.I., “Community and Commercial Strategies in Open Source Software”, IT- Information Technology, vol. 55, no. 5 (2013), pp. 181-188.
- Wasserman, A.I., “How the Internet Transformed the Software Industry,” Journal of Internet Services and Applications,” vol. 2, no. 1 (2011), 11-22.
- Wasserman, A.I., “Software Engineering Issues for Mobile Application Development,” Proc. Workshop on Future of Software Engineering Research, 2010.
- Wasserman, A.I., “Comparing Business Strategies of Proprietary and Open Source Software Product Companies”, submitted for publication, 2011.
- Capra, Eugenio, and Wasserman, A.I., “A Framework for Evaluating Managerial Styles in Open Source Projects”, Proc. 4th Int’l. Conference on Open Source Systems, 2008, pp. 1-11.
- Wasserman, A.I., “Building a Business on Open Source Software” in Petti, C. (ed.), Cases in Technological Entrepreneurship: Converting Ideas into Value. Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar, 2009, pp. 107-121
- Das, A. and Wasserman, A.I., “Using FLOSSmole Data in Determining Business Readiness Ratings,” Proceedings of 2nd Workshop on Public Data about Software Development, Limerick, Ireland, June, 2007.
- Wasserman, A.I., and E. Capra, “Evaluating Software Engineering Processes in Community and Commercial Open Source Projects,”, Proceedings of First International Workshop on Emerging Trends in FLOSS Research and Development, Minneapolis, MN, May, 2007.
- Wasserman, T, “The Rise of Open Source Software Development,” Workshop on Directions in Software Engineering Environments, Edinburgh, May, 2004.
- Wasserman, T., “Dot-Com Management: Surviving the Startup Syndrome,” in Beyond Chaos: The Expert Edge in Managing Software Development, ed. L.L. Constantine. Boston: Addison-Wesley, 2001, pp. 169-176.
- Wasserman, A.I., “User Software Engineering: a Retrospective,” in Information Systems Engineering, ed. S.J. Brinkkemper, E. Lindencrona, and A. Sølvberg. London: Springer Verlag, 2000, pp. 149-158.
- Wasserman, A.I., “Toward a Discipline of Software Engineering, IEEE Software, November, 1996, pp. 23-31.
- Wasserman, A.I., “Requirements for OO Design Environments,”, Proc. 7th Int’l Symposium on Software Engineering Environments, Noordwijkerhout, Holland, 1995.
- Wasserman, A.I. and P.A. Pircher, “Customizing Object-Oriented Structured Design for C++”, C++ Journal, vol. 1, no. 3 (1991), pp. 6-11.
- Wasserman, A.I., “Tool Integration in Software Engineering Environments,” in Software Engineering Environments, ed. F. Long. Berlin: Springer Verlag, 1990, pp. 137-149. (Lecture Notes in Computer Science, no. 467)
- Wasserman, A.I., P.A.Pircher, and R.J.Muller, “The Object-Oriented Structured Design Notation for Software Design Representation”, IEEE Computer, vol. 23, no. 3 (March, 1990), pp. 50-63.
- Wasserman, A.I. and P.A. Pircher, “A Graphical, Extensible Integrated Environment for Software Development,” ACM SIGPLAN Notices, vol. 22, no. 1 (January, 1987), pp. 131-142. (Proc. ACM SIGSOFT/SIGPLAN Symposium on Practical Software Development Environments)
- Wasserman, A.I., P.A. Pircher, D.T. Shewmake, and M.L. Kersten, “Developing Interactive Information Systems with the User Software Engineering Methodology,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. SE-12, no. 2 (February, 1986), pp. 326-345.
- Wasserman, A.I., P.A. Pircher, D.T. Shewmake, “Building Reliable Interactive Information Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. SE-12, no. 1 (January, 1986), pp. 147-156.
- Wasserman, A.I., “Extending state transition diagrams for the specification of human-computer interaction,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. SE-11, no. 8 (August, 1985), pp. 699-713.
- Wasserman, A.I. and D.T. Shewmake, “RAPID/USE: un Outil pour Construire les Systèmes d’Information Interactifs,” (in French), Proceedings of the 2nd Software Engineering Conference (CGL2), Nice, France, AFCET, 1984, pp. 1-9.
- van de Riet, R.P., M.L. Kersten, W. de Jonge, and A.I. Wasserman, “Privacy and Security in Information Systems using Programming Language Features”, Information Systems, vol. 8, no. 2, (1983), pp. 95-103.
- Leveson, N.G., A.I. Wasserman, and D.M. Berry, “BASIS: a Behavioral Approach to the Specification of Information Systems,” Information Systems, vol. 8, no. 1 (1983), pp. 15-23.
- Wasserman, A.I., P. Freeman, and M. Porcella, “Characteristics of Software Development Methodologies,” in Information Systems Design Methodologies: a Feature Analysis, ed. T.W. Olle, H.G. Sol, and C.J. Tully. Amsterdam: North Holland, 1983, pp. 37-62.
- Wasserman, A.I., R. P. van de Riet, M.L. Kersten, N. Leveson, “A Formal Integrated Approach to Data and Usage Integrity in Health Information Systems”, in Data Protection in Health Information Systems, ed. G.Griesser, J.P Jardel, D.J.Kenny, K.Sauter. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science Publishers, 1983.
- Wasserman, A.I. and D.T. Shewmake, “Rapid Prototyping of Interactive Information Systems,” ACM Software Engineering Notes, vol. 7, no. 5 (December, 1982), pp. 171-180. (Proceedings of ACM SIGSOFT Workshop on Rapid Prototyping)
- van de Riet, R.P., M.L. Kersten, A.I. Wasserman, “A Module Definition Facility for Access Control,” in Communicating Data Base Systems, in Distributed Data Sharing Systems, ed. R.P. van de Riet & W. Litwin. Amsterdam: North Holland Publishing Company, 1982.
- Wasserman, A.I., “The User Software Engineering Methodology: an Overview,” in Information Systems Design Methodologies: a Comparative Review, ed. T.W. Olle, A.A. Verrijn-Stuart, and H.G. Sol. Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1982, pp. 591-628.
- Wasserman, A.I. and S. Gutz, “The Future of Programming,” Comm. ACM, vol. 25, no. 3 (March, 1982), pp. 196-206.
- Van de Riet, R.P., A.I. Wasserman, M.L. Kersten, and W. de Jonge, “High-Level Programming Features for Improving the Efficiency of a Relational Database System,” ACM Transactions on Database Systems, vol. 6, no. 3 (September, 1981), pp. 464-485.
- Leveson, N.G. and A. I. Wasserman, “Logical Decentralization and Semantic Integrity in a Distributed Information System”. Distributed Data Sharing Systems, 1981, pp. 243-253
- Wasserman, A.I., “User Software Engineering and the Design of Interactive Systems,” Proc. 5th Int’l. Conf. on Software Engineering, San Diego, 1981, pp. 387-393.
- Wasserman, A.I., R.P. van de Riet, and M.L. Kersten, “PLAIN: an algorithmic language for interactive information systems,” in Algorithmic Languages, ed. J.W. de Bakker and J.C. van Vliet. Amsterdam: North Holland, 1981, pp. 29-47.
- Gutz, S., A.I. Wasserman, and M.J. Spier, “Personal Development Systems for the Professional Programmer,” IEEE Computer, vol. 14, no. 4 (April, 1981), pp. 45-53.
- Kersten, M.L. and A.I. Wasserman, “The Architecture of the PLAIN Data Base Handler,” Software – Practice and Experience, vol. 11, no. 2 (1981), pp. 175-186.
- Wasserman, A.I., “Information System Design Methodology,” J. American Society for Information Science, vol. 31, no. 1, (January, 1980), pp. 5-24.
- Wasserman, A.I., “USE: a Methodology for the Design and Development of Interactive Information Systems,” in Formal Models and Practical Tools for Information Systems Design, ed. H-J. Schneider. Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1979, pp. 31-50.
- Wasserman, A.I. and S.K. Stinson, “A specification method for interactive information systems,” Proc. Specifications of Reliable Software, Cambridge, MA, 1979, pp. 68-79.
- Wasserman, A.I. and L.A. Belady, “Software Engineering: the Turning Point,” IEEE Computer, vol. 11, no. 9 (September, 1978), pp. 30-41.
- Wasserman, A.I. and P. Freeman, “Software Engineering Education: Status and Prospects,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 66, no. 8 (August, 1978), pp. 886-892.
- Freeman, P. and A.I. Wasserman, “A Proposed Curriculum for Software Engineering Education,” Proc. 3rd Int’l. Conf. on Software Engineering, Atlanta, 1978, pp.56-62.
- Wasserman, A.I. and P. Freeman, “Software Engineering Concepts and Computer Science Curricula,” IEEE Computer, vol. 10, no. 6 (June, 1977), pp. 85-91.
- Freeman, P. , A. I. Wasserman , R.E. Fairley, “Essential elements of software engineering education,” Proc. 5th Int’l. Conf. on Software Engineering, San Francisco, 1976, pp.116-122.
A partial list of edited books:
- Damiani, E., Frati, F., Riehle, D. and Wasserman, A.I. Open Source Systems: Adoption and Impact, IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 2015.
- Corral, L., Sillitti, A., Succi, G., Vlasenko, J., Wasserman, A.I. (Eds.), Open Source Software: Mobile Open Source Technologies, IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, Vol. 427, Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 2014
- Boldyreff, C., K. Crowston, B. Lundell, and A.I Wasserman (eds.), Open Source Ecosystems: Diverse Communities Interacting, IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, Vol. 299, Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 2009.
- Wijers, G., S. Brinkkemper, and A.Wasserman (eds.) Advanced Information Systems Engineering. Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 1994 (LNCS, vol. 811).
- Freeman, P. and A.I. Wasserman (eds.) Tutorial: Software Design Techniques. Los Alamitos: IEEE Computer Society, 4th ed., 1983.
- Schneider, H.-J. and A.I. Wasserman (eds.) Automated Tools for Information Systems Design. Amsterdam: North Holland, 1982.
- Wasserman, A.I. Tutorial: Software Development Environments. Los Alamitos: IEEE Computer Society, 1981.
- Wasserman, A.I. Tutorial: Programming Language Design. Los Alamitos: IEEE Computer Society, 1980.