At the Integrated Innovation Institute, Jason teaches and mentors the next generation of integrated innovators in our MIIPS program.
Prior to joining the Institute in 2017, Jason was a research faculty member in the Engineering Research Accelerator at CMU where he researched regenerative medicine, wound healing, and biosensors. Prior to joining CMU, he spent ten years at two Pittsburgh-based medical device and biologics start-up companies, Cohera Medical and Carmell Therapeutics. At Carmell, he directed the company’s research and development, preclinical testing, pilot manufacturing, quality control, and intellectual property efforts. He was awarded multiple Phase 1 and Phase 2 SBIR grants, which funded the development of the company’s first product, leading to its successful first-in-man clinical trial.
Jason was born and raised in central Illinois. In his free time, he enjoys working with stained glass, cooking, music, biking, and traveling.
Areas of Expertise
- Regenerative medicine
- Medical devices
Integrated Innovation Courses
- Grand Challenge Innovation
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Regenerative Medicine, Carnegie Mellon University
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Chemical Engineering, University of Delaware
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP), Project Management Institute
- Schwartzman D, Badhwar V, Kormos R. Smith J, Campbell P, Weiss L. 2015. A Plasma-based amiodarone-impregnated material decreases susceptibility to atrial fibrillation in a post-cardiac surgery model. Innovations: Technology and Techniques in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery. 11(1): 59-63.
- Schwartzman D, Pasculle AW, Ceceris KD, Smith JD, Weiss LE, Campbell PG. 2015. An off-the-shelf plasma-based material to prevent pacemaker pocket infection. Biomaterials 60:1-8.
- Smith JD, Weiss LE, Burgess JE, West AI, and Campbell PG. 2012. Biologically active blood plasma-based biomaterials as a new paradigm for tissue repair therapies. Disruptive Science and Technology. 1(3): 1-11.
- Smith JD, Chen A, Ernst LA, Waggoner AS, and Campbell PG. 2007. Immobilization of Aprotinin to Fibrinogen as a Novel Method for Controlling Degradation of Fibrin Gels. Bioconj. Chem. 18(3): 695-701.
- Smith JD, and Robinson AS (2002). Overexpression of an Archaeal Protein in Yeast: Secretion Bottleneck at the ER. Biotech. Bioeng. 79 (7): 713-723.
- Smith JD, Fisher GW, Waggoner AS, and Campbell PG. 2007. The use of quantum dots for analysis of chick CAM vasculature. Microvascular Research 73: 75-83.
- Smith JD, Melhem ME, Magge KT, Waggoner AS, and Campbell PG. 2007. Improved growth factor directed vascularization into fibrin constructs through inclusion of additional extracellular molecules. Microvascular Research 73: 84-94.
- Jadlowiec J, Dongell D, Smith J, Conover C, and Campbell P. 2005. Pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A is involved in matrix mineralization of human adult mesenchymal stem cells and angiogenesis in the chick chorioallantoic membrane Endocrinology. 146(9):3765-72.
- Smith JD, Richardson NE, and Robinson AS. 2005 Elevated expression temperature in a mesophilic host results in increased secretion of a hyperthermophilic enzyme and decreased cell stress. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005 Aug 31;1752(1):18-25
- Smith JD, Tang BC, and Robinson AS. 2004. Protein disulfide isomerase, but not binding protein, overexpression enhances secretion of a non-disulfide-bonded protein in yeast. Biotechnol Bioeng. 85(3):340-50.
- Hydrophilic Biodegradable Adhesives. Inventors: Beckman EJ and Smith JD. Patent # 8,652,293. Issue Date: February 18, 2014. Application # 13/440,470. Filed April 2012.
- Methods and Apparatus for Manufacturing Plasma-Based Plastics and Bioplastics Therefrom. Inventors: Campbell PG, Burgess JE, Weiss LE, Smith JD.
- Patent # 9,364,503. Issue date: June 14, 2016. US Application # 14/570,586. Filed December 15, 2014
- Patent # 8,911,789. Issue date: Sept. 10, 2013. US Application # 13/792,691. Filed March 11, 2013.
- Patent # 8,529,961. Issue date: Sept. 10, 2013. US Application # 13/177,147. Filed July 6, 2011.
- Patent # 8,529,958. Issue date: Sept. 10, 2013. US Application # 13/177,029. Filed July 6, 2011.
- Patent # 8,529,959. Issue date: Sept. 10, 2013. US Application # 13/177,061. Filed July 6, 2011.
- Patent # 8,529,960. Issue date: Sept. 10, 2013. US Application # 13/177,090. Filed July 6, 2011.
- Patent # 8,529,956. Issue date: Sept. 10, 2013. US Application # 12/104,728. Filed April 17, 2008.
- Patent # 8,293,530. Issue date: Oct 23, 2012. US Application # 11/873,751. Filed October 17, 2007.