To ensure a smooth onboarding experience, please review and complete the five key tasks below prior to your first day. Each of these tasks is required and, more importantly, will facilitate your interaction with university systems and compliance with employment laws.
Your Andrew ID is your gateway to the computing environment at Carnegie Mellon and provides access to email, network registration and Workday (CMU’s human capital management software). Access to Workday will allow you to complete key onboarding tasks required of all new employees. The Andrew ID activation process depends on whether or not you have a prior affiliation with CMU. Please follow one of the two sets of instructions below based on your prior affiliation status:
If you have never been assigned an Andrew ID or your Andrew ID was last used prior to 2015:
- CMU Identity Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) will send an email to your personal email account asking you to complete a Prior Affiliation Questionnaire (PAQ). Please complete the PAQ as soon as possible to begin the Andrew ID creation process. If you have not received the PAQ within 24 hours of receiving this notification (please check your spam folder), contact email@example.com.
- Within three business days of completing the PAQ, you will receive either a second email with instructions for setting up your Andrew ID, password and DUO 2fa or a request for additional information regarding a prior affiliation at CMU.
If you were already assigned an Andrew ID based on previous employment, student enrollment or another prior affiliation at CMU since 2015:
- Your Andrew ID will be reactivated by Identity Services without a Prior Affiliation Questionnaire.
- Please allow 24 hours after receiving this notification for your Andrew credentials to be reactivated across university systems. If you have trouble logging in to CMU platforms after 24 hours, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
- DUO 2fa is required to sign in to Workday and other university systems. To register a device for DUO 2fa or update an existing device, use the Two-Factor Authentication Self-Service (2fa) Tool.
- If you do not recall the password associated with your Andrew ID, use the Password Reset Self-Service utility.
Workday provides Carnegie Mellon University with a unified, global human resources, payroll, benefits and time tracking system designed to meet the needs of higher education.
- Once you have your Andrew ID/password and DUO 2fa, log in to Workday by entering your Andrew ID and password.
- Once you have logged in to Workday, complete all of your onboarding tasks, or you can wait until your first day and complete the tasks during a scheduled session.
Downloading the Workday mobile app [pdf] will give you the option of entering/submitting time and requesting time off on the go.
* The Workday Onboarding Tasks System Guide [pdf] is available to assist with the completion of your onboarding tasks.
Federal law requires employers to verify the employment eligibility and identity of all employees hired to work in the United States through a Form I-9†. View instructions on completing the Form I-9 based on your employment situation.
- Form I-9 Section 1 must be completed in Workday no later than your first day of employment.
- Form I-9 Section 2 must be completed in person within three days of your employment start date. Review the original documents from the Form I-9 List of Acceptable Documents [pdf] required to complete Section 2.
- Regular I-9 reminders will be sent in the weeks leading up to your hire date to ensure compliance of this time sensitive onboarding requirement.
- Employees assigned to work on a federally funded project must also be E-Verified.
† Employees rehired within three years of completing their most recent Form I-9 will not need to complete a new Form I-9. HR Employee Services will contact you if updated work authorization documentation is required.
Your CMU ID Card will give you access to:
- Campus buildings and several campus parking garages
- Port authority and campus transportation (if applicable)
- Fitness facilities and programs
- Events on and off campus
- PNC Virtual Wallet
You can upload a photo for your CMU ID Card once you have received your Andrew ID. The CMU ID Card is not issued until your first day.
Many of your benefits elections are time sensitive. The Benefits Guide [pdf] is the best resource to learn about election deadlines and the wide range of health and welfare benefits offered at CMU.‡
If you plan to add dependents to your benefit elections, you will need to provide supporting documentation [pdf] verifying their relationship to you. You should bring this documentation on your first day.
‡ Members of the AFL-CIO Local 95 — International Union of Operating Engineers are covered under their own contract, which specifies their benefits coverage options.