To ensure a smooth onboarding experience, please review and complete the five key tasks below prior to your first day. Each of these tasks is required and, more importantly, will facilitate your interaction with university systems and compliance with employment laws.
Your Andrew account is your gateway to the computing environment at Carnegie Mellon and provides access to email, network registration, public computer labs, Workday (CMU's human capital management software) and other resources.
- Prior to assigning your Andrew account, Identity Services may send you an email asking you to complete a Prior Affiliation Questionnaire (PAQ). If you have a prior affiliation with the university (i.e., you are a former CMU student or a rehire), you may be required to complete the PAQ.
- Once the PAQ is completed, you will receive an email with instructions for setting up your Andrew ID/password and DUO 2fa. You will not receive access to your Andrew account until these tasks are completed.
- Your Andrew ID is assigned by Identity Service and cannot be changed.
- If you already have an Andrew ID from prior employment or are an alumnus, contact Identity Services for instructions on how to set up DUO 2fa or to reset your password.
Workday provides Carnegie Mellon University with a unified, global human resources, payroll, benefits and time tracking system designed to meet the needs of higher education.
- Once you have your Andrew ID/password and DUO 2fa, access Workday by clicking on the Workday Login link at the top right of this page.
- Log in to Workday by entering your Andrew ID and password.
- Once you have logged in to Workday, complete all of your onboarding tasks [pdf]*, or you can wait until your first day and complete the tasks during a scheduled session.
Downloading the Workday mobile app [pdf] will give you the option of entering/submitting time and requesting time off on the go.
* Workday Quick Guides are available to assist with the completion of your onboarding tasks.
Federal law requires employers to verify the employment eligibility and identity of all employees hired to work in the United States through a Form I-9.
- Form I-9 Section 1* must be completed in Workday no later than your first day of employment.
- Form I-9 Section 2* must be completed in person within three days of your employment start date. Review the original documents from the Form I-9 List of Acceptable Documents [pdf] required to complete Section 2.
- Employees assigned to work on a federally funded project must also be E-Verified.
Your CMU ID Card will give you access to:
- Campus buildings and several campus parking garages
- Port authority and campus transportation (if applicable)
- Fitness facilities and programs
- Events on and off campus
- PNC Virtual Wallet
Many of your benefits elections are time sensitive. The Benefits Guide [pdf] is the best resource to learn about election deadlines and the wide range of health and welfare benefits offered at CMU.*
If you plan to add dependents to your benefit elections, you will need to provide supporting documentation [pdf] verifying their relationship to you. You should bring this documentation on your first day.
* Members of the AFL-CIO Local 95 — International Union of Operating Engineers are covered under their own contract, which specifies their benefits coverage options.