Carnegie Mellon University

Retirement Savings Benefits FAQs for Student Workers

Yes, students who are paid in U.S. currency can participate in one of two retirement plans:

  • U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents can enroll in the Carnegie Mellon University Faculty and Staff Retirement Plan.
  • Non-U.S. Citizens and non-U.S. residents (non-resident aliens) working in the United States or remotely can enroll in the Carnegie Mellon University 401(k) Plan.
No. CMU does not make employer contributions to student worker retirement funds. The retirement elections you make will be automatically deducted from your pay each pay cycle.

First, your citizenship status must be updated in Workday. To confirm this information is in Workday, please submit a request for assistance

Then, you will be able to search for and initiate the Benefit Change task in Workday. This task will prompt you to select what percentage of your pay to contribute to your retirement plan. 

Refer to the Student Contribution Plans: View or Change Retirement Elections Quick Guide [pdf] for instructions.