October 26, 2020
Form I-9 — Remote Only
Federal law requires Carnegie Mellon University to have a valid Form I-9 on file for every employee. Due to precautions being implemented by employers and employees related to physical proximity associated with COVID-19, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced on March 20, 2020 that it will exercise discretion to defer the physical presence requirements associated with completing Section 2 of the Form I-9.
Completing the Form I-9 Remotely:
- Log in to Workday and complete Section 1 before or on your first day of employment.
- Within the first three days of employment, following the first day of employment, scan your documents for Section 2 and upload them according to the instructions found in the Uploading Supporting Documents in Workday Quick Guide [pdf].
- You can use the free app Adobe Scan that is available in the Apple App Store or in GooglePlay to take a picture.
- Please do not email your documents.
- You will be required to show your original documents in person, and at that time will be contacted by an HR representative to set up an appointment.
Thank you for your understanding and patience.