At the start of each academic year, the HPP hosts a Fall information dinner for all incoming freshmen, as well as any returning students and alumni new to the HPP. Topics discussed include:
- Introduction to the CMU Health Professions Program and the HPP Director and staff.
- How the HPP can help as you explore your interests in a career in health care.
- The pre-requisite course work for pre-Med, pre-Dental, pre-Vet, pre-PA, pre-Pharm, etc.
- Key points to consider at various stages of your undergraduate career.
- What is "holistic review" and how the HPP holistically evaluates CMU applicants.
- How and when to apply?
- The CMU Committee Interview and Committee Letter process.
Info session/Email announcements: what to do over the winter break if applying to schools in the following summer. This initiative is designed to help students address questions about the upcoming application cycle, such as:
- Starting the personal statement
- Requesting letters of recommendation
- Researching schools
- Assessing strengths, experiences, and accomplishments in order to evaluate the strength of one's application
In early February, the HPP hosts an application information session that seeks to review the many facets of applying to graduate programs in the health sciences. Topics discussed include:
- Evaluating the strength of your application
- MCAT / DAT
- Letters of recommendation
- CMU committee process
- Personal Statements
- School Selection
- Application services
- Secondary apps
In April, the HPP hosts an application panel discussion in which applicants in the current cycle participate in a Q&A session with applicants in the upcoming cycle. Each panel member offers a short summary of their experience in the application cycle, followed by an informal Q&A period that allows new applicants to learn about topics such as:
- School selection - how to decide where to apply
- Secondary applications - how to complete them and in what time frame
- Traditional interview vs. Multiple Mini-Interview style formats
- What is it like to interview
- How to write effective and appropriate "Thank you" letters to schools following interviews
- How/when to send letters of update or letters of intent
- How/when to decide on one school if holding multiple acceptances
- Advice on how to talk about one's academics, research, leadership experiences, volunteering, athletics, weaknesses vs. strengths, etc.