Room Selection Policies & Forms
Housing Contract Cancellation Policy & Fees
Housing contracts are for the entire 2021-2022 Academic Year. The Open Cancellation Period - May 3, 2021, through June 16, 2021 - is the only opportunity to cancel for any reason without penalty. There is no Open Cancellation Period for students who sign their housing contracts after June 16. After June 16, cancellations are only granted if the student is leaving the university for a leave of absence or withdrawal, academically suspended, or participating in an approved study abroad or co-op experience.
Before canceling your Housing License Agreement, please remember:
- Housing cancellations are final — if you cancel and then later change your mind, you'll have to reapply through a non-guaranteed housing wait list process.
- You will receive and must keep your cancellation confirmation email. If you don't receive a confirmation email that means your cancellation was not successful. Try again immediately or contact us at email@example.com prior to June 16 to confirm that your cancellation was processed successfully. Exceptions will not be made for students who fail to cancel their agreements and don't reach out at the time of the issue.
- Your space will be filled with a new resident assigned by Housing Services. (Roommate requests and pull-ins are not permitted once Room Selection ends.)
If you have questions, email or call 412-268-2139.
How to Cancel Your Housing Agreement
Housing cancellations are granted to students who participated in Room Selection and cancel their housing assignments within the timeline of the Open Cancellation Period (May 3, 2021, through June 16, 2021). If you are cancelling during this timeframe, follow the instructions below:
- Log into the Housing Portal, click on "Apply for Housing," and go into your 2021-2022 Academic Year Housing Application.
- Click on "Cancel Agreement" — this will take you to the cancellation form. (Please note - this option will not be available within the portal until the Open Cancellation Period begins.)
- Select your reason for cancelling and click on the "Cancel Agreement" button.
- Log-in to your Andrew email to verify that you received a cancellation confirmation email — if you did not receive a confirmation email, your cancellation did not go through.
Additional Details about Cancelling
Residents who do not request a cancellation before 12 p.m. on June 16, 2021, will be held responsible for all housing costs, unless you are leaving the university for an approved reason. This includes residents who sign a Housing License Agreement after June 16.
Residents who have signed a Housing License Agreement for 2021-2022 academic year through campus housing should not sign leases for off-campus apartments after June 16, 2021. University housing contracts are for the full academic year (both the fall and spring semesters).
Additional Room Selection Policies
In order to efficiently utilize available room spaces, Housing Services actively consolidates residents throughout the Room Selection process. Residents who select by themselves and do not completely fill a room or unit with roommates may be consolidated with other residents in similar half-filled rooms. In some cases, residents with roommates in suites or multi-room apartments may be consolidated to similar units when there is an imbalance of vacancies for residents of a particular gender, compared to the gender of residents still left to select a space.
Residents who are consolidated will either be reassigned to a new room (of a similar room type, if available, but not guaranteed) or will be assigned a roommate who also did not select with roommates. You will be notified via email of your new assignment if/when you are consolidated.
Though class standing, room type, and other preferences will be strongly considered, consolidations will be made at the discretion of Housing Services.
Selecting Policy: Selecting with a Roommate
Groups of friends who choose to live together generally have a more positive living experience and fewer roommate conflicts than roommates who are randomly assigned to live together. For this reason, we encourage residents to talk to their friends and select spaces together as roommates.
Selecting Policy: Selecting as an Individual
In order to maximize the number of empty apartments for residents selecting with roommates, residents who are selecting as individuals will have the option to select from a more limited list of housing buildings, where rooms/suites/apartments are generally 2 or 3 residents at most. Residents interested in one fo the buildings or room types designated for larger roommate groups can wait until the Extended Selection phase of online Room Selection, at which point there are no longer any restrictions on needing to fill a room with roommates. However, you will lose your timeslot priority since any resident with a timeslot who hasn't already selected a room is eligible to select during Extended Selection, which takes place after all regular timeslots. Students wanting a multi-bedroom apartment will have the most luck if selecting with a roommate or multiple roommates, in order to keep the widest range of options available to them.
At the close of Room Selection, residents who are in rooms by themselves may/will be consolidated to other half-filled rooms of a similar room type. Please see the Consolidation Policy above.
Room Selection 2021 Forms
2021-2022 Academic Year Staff Housing Rates (pdf) (for Resident Assistant and Community Assistant staff)
2020-2021 Rates and Housing License Agreement
2020-2021 Housing License Agreement (HLA) (for reference only)
2020-2021 Academic Year Housing Rates (pdf) (for reference only)
2020-2021 Academic Year Staff Housing Rates (pdf) (for reference only)
Assignment Change Wait List
Residents who are interested in obtaining a space other than the one they selected during Room Selection may submit their name to the Room Selection Assignment Change Wait List after Room Selection ends, for spaces that might become available during or after the Open Cancellation period.