Rates and Fees-Housing Services - Carnegie Mellon University

Housing Rates and Fees

The Housing Rate Sheet outlines all of the different rates for the various types of accommodations at Carnegie Mellon.

2017-2018 Academic Year Housing Rate Sheet [pdf] -added February 2017

2017-2018 Staff Academic Year Housing Rate Sheet [pdf] - RA and CA rooms only, added February 2017

Students should also be aware of the following fees:

  • A $15 Student Dormitory Council (SDC) activity fee which is included in your room rate
  • $400 or $200 Housing Cancellation Fee - applies only to students who cancel their housing (read below for more details)
Housing rates are determined by a number of factors, including square footage of the room, proximity to a semi-private bathroom, number of residents, amenities within the room/apartment and/or building, and many other factors. Housing rates for different residence types and room types vary greatly, so be sure to familiarize yourself with the housing rates before selecting a housing assignment.

Your room rate includes the following:

  • Bed with 39" x 80" mattress and mattress protector will be provided; you need to bring your own linens.
  • Desk and chair
  • Bookshelf or hutch (as applicable)
  • Closet or wardrobe
  • Dresser
  • Safety rails and ladder for lofted or bunked bed
  • Window coverings
  • High speed network/Internet access (wired and/or wireless connection depending on housing facility)
  • Basic Cable TV service with activated cable TV jack (You will need to bring a cable-ready digital TV and a coaxial cable to connect.)
  • Phone jacks are not active in student rooms. There are centrally located community phones available in each area. Use of cell phones is encouraged for personal use. 
  • Maintenance (students pay separately for room and public area damages)
  • Utilities

Housing Cancellation Fee

A Housing Cancellation Fee will become effective for the 2017-2018 academic year, and applies to any student who needs to cancel their housing agreement.  After April 7, 2017, housing cancellations are only permitted due to a verified change in your enrollment status (leave of absence, withdrawal from the university, academic or financial suspension or dismissal, or any non-enrolled status) or full-time status. 

Students who need to cancel for any of these reasons will be required to pay to the University the applicable prorated charges for the period of occupancy prior to moving, and the Housing Cancellation Fee (currently, $400 for cancellations occurring during or for the fall term and $200 for cancellations occurring during or for the spring term.)  Cancellations are not permitted, except for a verified change in your enrollment status or full-time status.  See Section 3 (CANCELLATION OF AGREEMENT) and Section 4 (HOUSING CANCELLATION FEE) of the TERMS AND CONDITIONS section of your Housing License Agreement.

Housing and Financial Aid

The financial aid amount provided to some students to help cover housing costs is based on the "standard double" residence hall room rate. All standard double rooms are reserved for new incoming first-year students, however, not all first-year students will be assigned to standard double rooms (due to a limited number of this particular room type). Financial aid provided will still be based on the standard double housing rate and cannot be adjusted even if students are assigned to a room with a higher rate.