What Are My Housing Options?-Housing Services - Carnegie Mellon University

What Are My Housing Options?

Carnegie Mellon University houses about 4,000 undergraduate students in university owned and leased properties. Living arrangements include traditional single-gender residence halls, coeducational residence halls, suites, apartments, entire houses, and fraternity and sorority residences.

First-year Housing Options

New, incoming first-year residents are guaranteed university housing and are required to live in university housing for their first year. First-year students generally live in designated first-year communities.

Once you are admitted to Carnegie Mellon, have paid your university admissions deposit (which includes a $400 pre-payment that goes towards your housing charges) and have set up your Andrew account, you are eligible to submit your first-year housing application.

Transfer and Exchange Student Housing Options

Transfer and exchange students are generally housed in upper-class living areas. While we make every attempt to accommodate all transfer students that apply for housing, we are not able to guarantee university housing for all transfer students. If you are a transfer student interested in university housing, you are encouraged to apply using the upper-class housing application as soon as you have paid your admissions deposit.

Transfer students and exchange students are also welcome to live off-campus and may wish to visit our Community Housing page for off-campus housing resources.