Transfer Students-Housing Services - Carnegie Mellon University

Transfer Students

Congratulations and welcome to Carnegie Mellon University!

On-Campus Housing

We make every effort to accommodate all new transfer students in university housing. Transfer students who apply for housing will be placed on a housing waitlist and will be notified when space becomes available.

Transfer students are usually assigned to upper-class living areas, but this varies depending on your class. Housing assignments for transfer students are made throughout the summer, usually in July and August, and, in some instances, right before classes begin.

If you are interested in living in university housing, you should submit your Upper-class Housing Application as soon as you make the decision to transfer to Carnegie Mellon and pay your admissions deposit. Housing Services will keep in touch with you with you via email to update you on the status of your waitlist application. The earlier you apply, the more likely that we'll be able to accommodate you!

Off-Campus Housing

As a transfer student, you are not required to live in university housing and may elect to live off-campus in the surrounding community. Carnegie Mellon's Community Housing Services is a resource to help you with your off-campus housing search.