How Do I Apply?-Housing Services - Carnegie Mellon University

Applying for Housing

The first-year Housing Application deadline has been extended until June 4, and applications will be processed beginning June 5 in the order that the admissions office posts your admissions deposit.  As an admitted first-year student, you can begin the housing application once the application is available, your admissions deposit has been processed by the University, and you have activated your Andrew account.

You should submit your dining application at the same time as your housing application.

Setting up your Andrew ID

In order to apply for housing, incoming students need to activate their Andrew ID. Follow these steps to set up your Andrew account:

  1. Obtain your Andrew ID by going to the Enrollment Services website.
  2. Set up your Andrew account password with Computing Services by following the instructions for New Undergraduate Students.
  3. Log into the housing application to begin.

How do I apply?

All first-year students must submit the online New Resident Housing Application and Housing License Agreement before June 4. First-year students who were admitted off of the admissions waitlist after June 4 should submit the Housing Application and Housing License Agreement as soon as they have accepted their admission.

Applying for housing is easy, but before you start the housing application, make yourself familiar with our housing residences and set up your Andrew ID. Do you have a specific person(s) that you would like to room with? If so, make sure that you have their Andrew IDs so that you can request to live with them on the application. You'll also have the opportunity to browse through potential roommates as part of the application process.

Residents who are under the age of 18 when completing the First-year Housing Application will need to submit a paper Housing License Agreement (which can be printed out once you get to that step in the housing application) signed by a parent or guardian. Be sure to allow extra time before the June 4 deadline to submit this paperwork.

Housing applications are not considered "complete" until a signed Housing License Agreement is received by Housing Services. You will receive a confirmation email once your Housing License Agreement has been received by our office. Once your application is "complete," you will no longer be able to make changes to your application, so make sure that your requests and preferences are final before submitting your agreement.

The Housing Application

The following tutorial video will walk you through the entire process of applying for housing as an incoming first-year student!

Note: All students applying for housing should apply through the Housing portal. The specific application that you fill out is based on how you are classified in the system. When you first log into the Housing portal you will see your “Classification” listed in the left-hand menu. All first-year students — whether a traditional first-year or a CFA transfer — should see the “New First-Year” classification. If you see a different classification listed, please contact us at