Carnegie Mellon University

UHS is proud to provide care for LGBTQIA+ students.

General care

LGBTQIA+ students can receive competent general medical care at UHS. We encourage LGBTQIA+ students to receive routine care.

In particular, we recommend students follow guidelines for routine screening of sex-specific organs, like pap smears/gynecological exams, breast exams, prostate exams, etc. If you are uncomfortable with these types of exams, we are happy to talk with you about how to make it easier.

Specialized care

  • We offer several services specifically for LGBTQIA individuals.
    • PrEP
      • Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) is a new HIV prevention treatment. Taking PrEP once daily lowers the risk of HIV transmission significantly. For more information on PrEP, contact us and ask to speak with a provider.
      • Learn more about PrEP
    • Hormone Therapy

Medical Insurance

Carnegie Mellon’s student medical insurance plan offers transgender inclusive health care coverage.  See the details on what coverage the plan offers for gender confirmation surgery.

If you have an outside plan, check with your plan provider to find out what is covered. 

Name, gender and sex assigned at birth documentation

UHS can include preferred name, gender identity, and sex assigned at birth in medical records. Preferred name information listed in SIO does not transfer automatically into our medical records system. You can update your pronouns, preferred name and gender identity in HealthConnect.

  • You can also ask a staff member to update your preferred name, gender identity, and sex assigned at birth during a visit to UHS

University Health Services adheres to Carnegie Mellon University’s Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action policy, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status or non-job-related disability.

 All staff members are Safe Zoned trained, and receive additional training around LGBTQIA+ competent care.

Questions and concerns about LGBTQ health and/or services at UHS can be directed to: