Carnegie Mellon University

Access Control

Many doors on campus are now being controlled with locks that can be opened using the Carnegie Mellon ID card. 

For more information on physical access control at Carnegie Mellon, please review ID Card Services Campus Building Access page

Access Hardware Malfunctions

Hardware malfunctions such as doors not closing or locking properly or card readers that fail to read should be reported  immediately so that they can be repaired and continue to maintain security.  Problems can be reported by calling Facilities Management Services at 412-268-2910.

Before you call FMS to report a problem with opening a lock you have successfully used before, here are some things you should try:

Wipe the card against rough material (some websites suggest using a sweater), then try swiping the card again.  If it's really dirty,  a little water or gentle soap and water can be wiped across the mag strip to clean it.  Be sure to dry it.

Slide the card  through the slot slowly.  The locks do not always read the card well when they are swiped fast.

Try the card in another lock you have used before to be sure the card is working.

See if others are able to use the lock your card is not unlocking.

If you cannot open the lock and you know your card is working in other locks, call FMS at 412-268-2910.  They will check to see if your account is active on that lock and will check for any hardware problems.  If it is determined that the lock is functioning correctly, you may be directed to the card office to remagnetize your card.

Making a Key Request and Pickup

FMS provides door keys through our work order request system.  You may submit a request online at the links at the top of the page.  Locksmiths at FMS will cut the keys and can be picked up on the first floor (114) of the FMS Building.

To pick up keys, come to the first floor (114) of the FMS Building.  The person requesting the key can send someone else to pick up the keys.  Anyone coming to collect keys must have a valid Carnegie Mellon University ID card for identification.  A signature is required to take the keys. 

Master Key Request Process

  • A Master Key Request Form must be obtained from the FMCS Service Response Center (SRC) and filled out by the Requestor.
  • The form will then be given to either the FMS University Engineer or FMS Director of Operations for their signature/approval.  No other signatures will be accepted.
  • Once the approval signature is obtained, the form must be returned to SRC to be processed into a work order.
  • The work order will then be given to the lock shop and the key(s) will be cut.
  • The Lock Shop will notify the Requestor when the key is ready. 
  • The Requestor will schedule a time with the Lock Shop to deliver the tamper proof key ring so the key(s) can be placed on the ring.