The Finance Division is committed to serve our customers and to fulfill our mission to provide university partners and stakeholders with the tools and resources needed to be well informed leaders and effective decision makers.
The majority of Finance Division departments and services continue to operate normally during this time, but please note the following information and reminders regarding a few specific Finance Division procedures. The temporarily modified procedures, where applicable, remain in effect until further notice.
The Finance Division appreciates your patience and collaboration during this time and will continue to communicate developments related to Finance Division services as they occur and provide guidance to the CMU financial community as needed.
Employee Expense Reports (Updated April 26, 2021)
AP is continuing efforts to reduce the volume of check payments to employees and requests that employees complete the form below to receive their expense report reimbursement via direct deposit. Employees that submit expense reports should follow the guidance below. For questions, contact AP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AP Employee Expense Direct Deposit Form [.pdf]
In order for an employee to receive their expense report reimbursement via direct deposit, this form must be completed and emailed to AP at AP-Supplieremail@example.com. Note: Direct deposit information that was completed in Workday for an employee’s payroll direct deposit does not sync between Oracle and Workday.
Booking Approved Travel (Updated Oct. 22, 2020)
For CMU-related travelers who need to book university business travel, please follow the respective guidance:
- Book through a university preferred agency (recommended): Those traveling on behalf of the university should book travel through one of the university preferred travel agencies. Specific instructions for each preferred supplier is available on their supplier page:
- Book through other methods: While not recommended, travel may be booked outside of university preferred travel agencies.
Payment for travel must utilize one of the following:
- University departmental or individual travel cards
- Personal credit cards which individuals must submit a expense report for reimbursement
More information is available on the University Card Program website.
Finance Training (Updated Oct. 22, 2020)
See the University Cards and Expense Report section on this page for more information related to card distribution.
Payroll (Updated Oct. 22, 2020)
Employees must elect to receive their pay via direct deposit or Wisely Pay Paycard. If you do not select direct deposit or a Wisely Pay Paycard you will receive a Wisely Pay Paycard to the address on file in Workday. For questions, contact the HR Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Direct Deposit: Direct deposit guarantees an employee’s net pay is deposited into their selected account(s) on the scheduled pay date. For step-by-step instructions on signing up for direct deposit, view the Add and Change Direct Deposit Elections Quick Guide [.pdf]. Note that this is a separate process from receiving direct deposit for expense reimbursements.
- Wisley Pay Paycard: Instead of a traditional bank account, an employees’ pay is deposited into a Wisely Pay Paycard account in which they can then store or spend their money using their paycard. This is not a credit card, no bank account is required and there is no credit check to enroll. To enroll, employees must ensure their home address is correct in Workday. For more information on how to make changes to personal information, including home address, visit the View and Update Your Personal Information in Workday page.
Supplier Payments (Updated Oct. 22, 2020)
Due to Accounts Payable printing checks once per month, employees that work with suppliers paid via paper check should follow the guidance below to ensure that payments can be made electronically. For questions, contact AP at email@example.com.
- AP Domestic Supplier Form [.pdf] and AP International Supplier Form [.pdf]
When working with a domestic or international supplier, please ask them to provide their banking information on the supplier information form. Ensure that the supplier is aware that they will be contacted by an AP representative to verify their banking information via email or telephone. All supplier forms should be submitted to AP-Supplierfirstname.lastname@example.org.
- AP Human Subject Participant/Principal Investigator Form [.pdf]
The AP Supplier Electronic Funds Transfer Form [.pdf] should accompany this form in order to pay a human subject participant or principal investigator electronically.
- AP Non-Employee Gift Form [.pdf], AP Non-Employee Prize Award Form [.pdf], AP Non-Qualified Scholarship Payment Form [.pdf] and AP Request for Payments/Refund Form [.pdf]
The AP Supplier Electronic Funds Transfer Form [.pdf] must accompany these forms in order to pay the recipient electronically. Ensure that the individual receiving payment is aware that an AP representative will contact them to verify their banking information for any payments over $5,000 USD.
- Honorarium Agreement/Supplier Information Form [.pdf]
This form allows individuals to provide their banking information. Ensure that the individual receiving payment is aware that an AP representative will contact them to verify their banking information for any payments over $5,000 USD.
Accounts Payable (Updated Oct. 22, 2020)
- Invoices, Supplier Forms, and Paydocs: All invoices, supplier forms and paydocs will continue to be processed as outlined on the AP website.
- Expense Report Payments via Direct Deposit for Employees: In order for an employee to receive their expense report reimbursement via direct deposit, the AP Employee Expense Direct Deposit Form [.pdf] needs to be completed and emailed to AP at AP-Supplieremail@example.com. Direct deposit information that was completed in Workday for your payroll direct deposit does not sync between Oracle and Workday. Further information in regards to payroll direct deposit is included in the payroll section.
- AP Payforms and Supplier Forms: In order to accommodate the need for signatures to be obtained electronically, AP will temporarily accept an email approval attached to the submission of the following forms: AP Copy Site Form [.pdf], AP Deposit Form [.pdf], AP Human Subject Participant/Principal Investigator Form [.pdf], AP Non-Employee Prize Award Form [.pdf], AP Non-Qualified Scholarship In Kind Form [.pdf], AP Non-Qualified Scholarship Payment Form [.pdf], AP Petty Cash Payment Form [.pdf], AP Request for Payment/Refund Form [.pdf], AP Supplier Electronic Funds Transfer Form [.pdf].
- AP Enterprise Content Management (ECM): As of Nov. 2, 2020, digital signatures were added to the following AP forms to eliminate the need for pen-and-paper signatures and for AP processing purposes in the ECM system:
- AP Human Subject Participant/Principal Investigator Form
- AP Non-Employee Prize Award Payment Form
- AP Non-Qualified Scholarship In Kind Form
- AP Non-Qualified Scholarship Payment Form
- AP Petty Cash Payment Form
- AP Request for Payment/Refund Form
- AP Travel Advance Payment Form
- When completing the digital signature fields on the forms listed above, Adobe Acrobat will prompt you to sign in with a Digital ID and save the form locally to your computer. Follow the onscreen prompts to configure a new Digital ID if needed. For AP processing purposes in the ECM system, the form will lock and no longer be editable once the last signature on the form is completed. Please submit the completed document by following the submission instructions on each applicable form(s).
- Supplier Payments: Please see the Supplier Payments section on this page for more information.
Please contact AP at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
COVID-19 Operating Expense Tracking (Updated on Oct. 22 2020)
The university must track COVID-19 related operating expenses for federal appropriations. The COVID-19 related operating expenses will also be included in external sponsor reporting, internal management reporting and the footnotes of the university’s Fiscal Year 2021 (FY21) financial statements. These expenses may include, but are not limited to, costs of ramping down/up research or classroom activity, personal protective equipment (PPE), nonrefundable event costs and travel charges and may be sponsored and/or non-sponsored.
To facilitate university-wide tracking, departments should submit their COVID-19 related non-personnel expenses as outlined below.
- GL transactions: Use the newly created “C19” activity code for any non-personnel COVID-19 related expenses.
- GM transactions: A new task service type “COVID” has been created for COVID-19 related non-personnel expenses that replaces the usual task service type of “unspecified”. Departments will need to take one of the following actions to use this new task service type:
- Create a new task called “COVID” and link this task to the newly created task service type “COVID” OR;
- If your department has already established a new task(s) to track COVID-19 related expenses, link your new task to the “COVID” task service type.
COVID-19 related expenses incurred that do not utilize the “C19” GL activity code or “COVID” GM task service type will need to be corrected via an Accounts Payable Redistribution Form [.pdf]. Corrections cannot be made via GL Journal Entry to ensure sufficient documentation for federal and other required reporting.
Personnel charges related to students without remote work and the costs associated with the newly created emergency leave will continue to be tracked by the Office of Human Resources. Furthermore, this information is not intended as guidance regarding the handling of such personnel charges not included above or for expenses associated with federal relief funding.
In addition, when reviewing related COVID-19 expenses, please consider the following:
- Emergency Operation Center costs
- Messaging and outreach costs
- Training costs specific to declared event
- Disinfection and cleaning of university above and beyond typical costs
- Emergency medical facility services and supplies (e.g., Student Health Services)
- Conversion of dorms for medical use
- Enhancing campus security and law enforcement
- Costs associated with housing foreign students that cannot go home
- Animals research area costs to separate animals and related additional costs
- Purchases of personal protective equipment
- Construction costs related to change orders for COVID-19 work site compliance
- Costs of overtime hours paid to permanent, budgeted employees performing emergency work as well as both straight time and overtime hours paid to unbudgeted employees performing emergency work
It is each unit’s responsibility to maintain supporting documentation for how costs relate to COVID-19, which may be requested.
Please direct any questions to COVID19finance@andrew.cmu.edu.
Cash Operations (Updated Sept. 9, 2020)
Cash Operations, located in Warner Hall, will remain closed to normal operations until further notice in an effort to minimize on-campus traffic.
Please do not deliver deposits to the Cash Operations office during this time as the drop slot will not be available.
Coin and Currency Deposits
- If your department has coin and currency for deposit, please contact Feikee Summers at email@example.com or 412-268-2095 to schedule a time to drop off your deposit.
- Prior to your scheduled appointment, please refer to section 2.0 of the Cash Handling Guidelines [.pdf] for more information on securing currency.
Checks and Other Negotiable Instrument Deposits
- Complete a Financial Services Receipt (FSR) [.xls] making sure to indicate the date that the checks are mailed.
- Submit the completed FSR to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail corresponding checks or other negotiable instruments to the following address for deposit:
- Carnegie Mellon University
PO Box 360154
Pittsburgh, PA 15251-0154
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Upon bank verification of the deposit, Cash Operations staff will respond to your submission email with a date and confirmation of receipt in lieu of a stamped receipt. The bank deposit date will be the date of receipt in Oracle.
Donations or Gift Deposits
Mail corresponding checks or other negotiable instruments to the following address for deposit:
- Carnegie Mellon University
PO Box 371525
Pittsburgh, PA 15251-7525
- Please contact Gift Administration at email@example.com for questions.
Accounts Payable Deposits
- Mail corresponding checks and Accounts Payable Deposit Form [.pdf] to the following address:
- Carnegie Mellon University - UTDC
5000 Forbes Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Attn: Maggie May Popovich
- Carnegie Mellon University - UTDC
- Please contact Accounts Payable at AP-Help@andrew.cmu.edu with any questions.
Credit Card Settlements
Your patience during this time is appreciated. For questions or feedback, please contact Judy Cvejkus, manager, Cash Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
University Cards and Expense Reports (ERs) (Updated May 1, 2020)
- Card Distribution: Card distribution resumed as of May 1, 2020. Details on card distribution can be found on the Finance Division news page.
- Card Transaction Verifications: Card transaction verification is still required within 30 days.
- Expense Report (ER) Submissions: ERs should still be submitted within the recommended 30 days and are taxable after 90 days.
- Pcard and ER Receipts: Receipts for transactions $75 and greater should continue to be submitted electronically. Contact the supplier to obtain an electronic copy of any receipts that you may not have access to. If unable to obtain an electronic copy, complete a Missing Receipt Form [.pdf].
Accounts Receivables (Updated March 27, 2020)
Cash Operations, located at A-11 in the lower level of Warner Hall, is closed until further notice in an effort to minimize on-campus traffic. As such, all payments to CMU that are received from external sponsors should be sent to a lockbox or wired directly to the university. AR includes these payment options on the invoices and is also reaching out to sponsors with this request. Please request that sponsors pay by wire or send checks to one of the lockbox addresses below to facilitate timely payment and application to university accounts. For questions, contact AR at email@example.com.
If a sponsor would prefer to wire the funds, please advise them of the following details:
- Bank of New York Mellon (BNY Mellon)
500 Ross Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15262
Account Number: 1979003
ABA Number: 043000261
Swift Code: IRVTUS3N
If a sponsor plans to mail a check, please advise them to use one of the following lockbox addresses:
- Sponsored Projects Accounting
Carnegie Mellon University
PO Box 371032
Pittsburgh, PA 15250-7032
- Other AR Lockbox
Carnegie Mellon University
P.O. Box 360456
Pittsburgh, PA 15251-6456
Business Systems Help Desk (Updated March 18, 2020)
- Operations: Regular operations remain in place for the Business Systems Help Desk:
- Oracle Access: View the Business Applications Development and Support FAQs for information on how to access Oracle while working remotely.
Finance Forms (Updated March 18, 2020)
Electronic signatures will be accepted for any Finance forms that are not specifically addressed on this page. Please ensure that if approval/signature is being done via email, the email approval clearly provides information and/or references the specific form that is being approved and that this information is attached to the form that needs to be processed.