About the Film
“Every once in a while, a movie reinvigorates one’s faith in the artistic capacity of an entire medium through pure intuition of form and mastery of intent, but rarely is a filmmaker able to do so while economically using almost every tool available to them… weaving an ethnically specific experience with the cinematic power to make a movie lover question whether or not they’ve even seen the potential of the frame fully realized. ‘This Is Not A Burial, It’s A Resurrection,’ is that rare gem of a film that falls into an unclassifiable category.” Andrew Bundy, The Playlist
What makes a home? And what gives it meaning? Mantoa, an 80-year-old widow, lives alone in a small village in Lesotho where many of the men have left to work in neighboring South Africa. After learning that her son, her only remaining family member, has died in a mining accident there, she struggles to find meaning in her life and starts to arrange for her burial. As she does so, however, she hears of plans to build a dam that will flood the valley where her village lies. The ancient burial grounds will be lost and the villagers forced to flee their homes. Mantoa begins inciting collective resistance to the project and to the language of national development used to promote it. Will her efforts bring new meaning to her life and new hope to those around her? This is Not a Burial… is notable not only for being the first feature filmed entirely in Lesotho with local actors speaking in Sesotho but also for combining brilliant acting, stunning visuals, and an amazing soundscape.
- Sundance Film Festival, 2019, World Cinema (Dramatic), Special Jury Prize for Visionary Filmmaking
About the Director
Lemohang Jeremiah Mosese is a self-taught filmmaker from Lesotho who is currently based in Berlin. His first film, Mother, I Am Suffocating. This Is My Last Film About You won six awards at the Final Cut in the Venice workshop and went on to premiere at the Berlin Film Festival. He was one of three filmmakers selected for the Biennale College - Cinema Lab. Mosese has participated in numerous programs including Cinéfondation’s L’Atelier.
Check out our review of the film on Letterboxd!
Listen to our Spotify playlist inspired by the film!
Below are steps you will need to follow to redeem your free ticket code for the Virtual Screening of "This Is Not A Burial, It's A Resurrection":
- Click here to redeem ticket
- Next, click "Watch now"
- Then, click the button "Have a discount code?"
- Enter the code CMUIFF and click "Apply discount"
- Enter your email or log in with Facebook and click "Continue". If you log in with Facebook you must sign in with your username and password. Your ticket will be sent to your email associated with your Facebook account.
- If you don’t have an account with Eventive, fill out the supplementary information (full name and password) and click "Create account". If you have an account with Eventive, just enter your password.
- Click "Watch now", and then "Unlock now" (A confirmation email will be sent to you)