Assistant Research Professor, Engineering and Public Policy
|2017 –||Research Assistant Professor, Department of Engineering & Public Policy (EPP), Carnegie Mellon University|
|2015-2017||Research Engineer, EPP, Carnegie Mellon University|
|2015-2015||Post-doctoral fellow, EPP, Carnegie Mellon University|
|2014-2014||Aviation Policy Intern, Environmental Defense Fund, Washington, DC|
|2008-2010||Strategy & Portfolio Analyst, Shell Energy Europe, The Hague, Netherlands|
|2005-2008||Analyst, Shell Singapore, Singapore|
- PhD in Engineering and Public Policy, Carnegie Mellon University, 2015
- MPhil in Technology Policy, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, 2011
- Master of Technological Design, National University of Singapore and Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, 2005
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical), Minor in Bioengineering, National University of Singapore, 2003
My research seeks to understand how technological solutions may be applied to problems in the area of energy and the environment. I have tried to understand how, and quantify the extent to which, solutions to environmental problems might be constrained by economic, behavioral, political, or operational realities. Examples of current projects include:
- Disentangling the components of the public's perceptions of nuclear risk
- Estimating the benefits and costs of electrified heating across the United States
- Decarbonizing global freight systems
- Discovering expert heuristics for additive manufacturing part selection
- Understanding biases in the processing of information to counter misinformation
Details of current and completed projects can be found on my website.
- Vaishnav, P., Horner, N., Azevedo, I.L., 2017. “Location-specific Costs and Benefits of Residential Solar Photovoltaics” Environmental Research Letters, 12, 094015 doi:10.1088/1748-9326/aa815e
- Morgan, M.G., Vaishnav, P., Dowlatabadi, H., Azevedo, I.L., 2017. “Rethinking the Social Cost of Carbon” Issues in Science and Technology, Summer 33(4): 43-50.
- Bonnín Roca, J.+, Fuchs, E.R.H., Vaishnav, P., Morgan, M.G., Mendonça, J., 2017. “When Risks Cannot Be Seen: Regulating Uncertainty in Emerging Technologies” Research Policy 46, no. 7 (September 2017): 1215-1233. doi: 10.1016/j.respol.2017.05.010
- Bonnín Roca, J.+, Vaishnav, P., Mendonça, J., Morgan, M.G., 2017. “Getting Past the Hype About 3-D Printing” MIT Sloan Management Review 58, 57–62 Available: http://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/getting-past-the-hype-about-3-d-printing/
- Vaishnav, P., 2016. “Design of a Global Market Based Measure ∙ ICAO’s Market Based Mechanism: Keep It Simple.” Carbon & Climate Law Review 10, 120–126. Available: http://cclr.lexxion.eu/article/CCLR/2016/2/9
- Bonnín Roca, J.+, Vaishnav, P., Fuchs, E.R.H., Morgan, M.G., 2016, “Policy needed for additive manufacturing.” Nature Materials 15, 815–818. doi:10.1038/nmat4658
- Vaishnav, P., Petsonk, A., Avila, R.A.G., Morgan, M.G., Fischbeck, P.S., 2016, “Analysis of a proposed mechanism for carbon-neutral growth in international aviation.” Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, Special Issue on Climate Change and Transport 45, 126–138. doi:10.1016/j.trd.2016.02.017
- Vaishnav, P., Fischbeck, P.S., Morgan, M.G., Corbett, J.J., 2016, “Shore Power for Vessels Calling at U.S. Ports: Benefits and Costs.” Environmental Science & Technology 50, no. 3 (February 2, 2016): 1102–10. doi:10.1021/acs.est.5b04860.
- Vaishnav P., 2014. “Greenhouse gas emissions from international transport.” Issues in Science and Technology, Winter 30(2): 25-28. Available: http://issues.org/30-2/parth/
- Vaishnav, P., 2013. “Costs and Benefits of Reducing Fuel Burn and Emissions from Taxiing Aircraft.” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2400 (December): 65–77. doi:10.3141/2400-08.