Associate Professor, Engineering & Public Policy, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering (by courtesy), Materials Science & Engineering (by courtesy)
- Carnegie Mellon 2012 -
EducationHarvard Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, MA
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs
Yale University, New Haven, CT
Ph.D. Chemical and Environmental Engineering
M.Phil. Chemical and Environmental Engineering
Rice University, Houston, TX
M.E.E. Environmental Engineering
B.S. Civil and Environmental Engineering
Professor Meagan Mauter holds bachelors degrees in Civil & Environmental Engineering and History from Rice University, a Masters of Environmental Engineering from Rice University, and a Ph.D. in Chemical and Environmental Engineering from Yale University. She completed post-doctoral training in the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs and the Mossavar Rahmani Center for Business and Government at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, where she was an Energy Technology Innovation Policy Fellow. At Carnegie Mellon University, Professor Mauter runs the Water and Energy Efficiency for the Environment (WE3 Lab) and is jointly appointed in Civil & Environmental Engineering and Engineering & Public Policy. She also holds courtesy appointments in Chemical Engineering and Materials Science & Engineering. Her present research seeks novel approaches to sustainably meet water supply in an energy constrained world by re-thinking the policies surrounding water treatment, re-defining the inputs to the treatment process, and re-envisioning the membranes in membrane-based water treatment processes.
- Gingerich, D.B; Sun X.; Behrer, A.P.; Azevedo, I.M.L; Mauter, M.S.*, Spatially Resolved Air-Water Emissions Tradeoffs Improve Regulatory Impact Analyses for Electricity Generation, Proceedings of the National Academies of Science, 2017.
- Behrer, A.P.; Mauter, M.S.*, Allocating Damage Compensation in a Federalist System: Lessons from Spatially Resolved Air Emissions in the Marcellus, Environmental Science & Technology, 2017.
- Bartholomew T.V.; Mauter, M.S.*, Multi-Objective Optimization Model for Minimizing Cost and Environmental Impact in Shale Gas Water and Wastewater Management, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 2016.
- Welle P.D.; Mauter, M.S.*, High Resolution Model for Estimating Economic and Policy Implications of Agricultural Soil Salinization in California, Environmental Research Letters, 2017.
- Welle P.D., Medellin-Azuara, J; Viers, J.; Mauter, M.S.*, Economic and Policy Drivers of Agricultural Water Desalination in California’s Central Valley, Agricultural Water Management, 2017.