November 30, 2016
How to Protect from Identity Theft
By Daniel Tkacik
Wallethub.com recently consulted a panel of experts, including EPP professor Nicolas Christin, to learn how to safeguard against cybercriminals:
- What can individuals do to guard against identity theft?
- How should consumers choose among third-party providers offering services to protect their identity and personal data?
- Should victims of identity theft be able to change their Social Security number? How can we make this number more difficult to steal and use (e.g., add more digits)?
- Is the recent expansion of social media facilitating identity thefts?
- Should the federal government intervene to establish a clear process for victims of identity theft looking to clear their name?