This section describes the curriculum for the primary degree program, the Biomedical Engineering additional major, and the Engineering and Public Policy additional major. For more information regarding undergraduate degree programs, please contact Paige Houser. The programs consist of the following unit distribution:
|Course Type||Primary Degree||Additional Major
|MSE Restricted electives||36||36||36|
|Second Intro Course and/or Additional Major||12||72||111|
Note the following (this refers to the table above, and to the programs on the following pages):
- The core includes the Materials in Engineering course (27-100). The core also includes 18 units of lab, and 12 units of the senior year Capstone course.
- The five free electives in the standard program will allow students to take a minor in a different subject. EPP and Biomedical Engineering additional majors allocate all free elective units to the second major.
- The restricted electives are all taught in either normal or miniformat (6 units). Students must take a total of 36 units of MSE Restricted electives.
- There are 18 units of lab in the core, spread out over 4 mini-courses and 2 12-unit courses.
- The total number of units required for graduation is 379 for the primary degree and 397 for the additional major with BME and 388 for the additional major with EPP. One unit is equivalent to 3 credit hours.
- Out-of-department students can take one of three minors in the MSE department: Electronic materials designated minor, Mechanical behavior of materials designated minor, or the Materials Science and Engineering minor.