The Department of Metallurgical Engineering was founded in 1906 and became the Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) in 1992 with a focus in research and a long history of leadership in education.
There are currently 24 active faculty, including some with joint appointments in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Engineering and Public Policy. In addition to the faculty, the department consists of 77 doctoral students, 30 masters students, 122 bachelors students, 21 staff, and 14 research associates.
The department also houses a range of facilities for the synthesis and characterization of materials. MSE faculty conduct a wide range of experimental and theoretical research. The four areas of concentration are: Electronic Materials, Magnetic Materials, Microstructural Science, and Iron and Steelmaking Research.