EST&P gaduate students have many educational, professional development, and social opportunities at CMU. This page offers a few examples, some that go beyond the boundaries of the program, the College of Engineering and the University to support and encourage a wide range of student intellectual, technical, professional, social and sporting activities. For more information, also visit the Office of Student Activities, Graduate Student Assembly (GSA), or the CMU Activities Board.
Hosted by the Scott Institute for Energy Innovation
On April 4-6, 2018, Carnegie Mellon’s Scott Institute for Energy Innovation will celebrate its third Energy Week, an event designed to educate, inform and debate energy policy; highlight research and innovation; and prepare for the future. Students have the chance to participate in a variety of competitions, roundtables/seminars, and look for employment at the energy career fair.
Sign up for our Energy Week 2018 mailing list to receive updates on when registration opens and as programming is announced. Questions? Drop us a line here. Read about the success of Energy Week 2017.
2017 Energy Symposium
March 27, 2017 -- www.cmu-energy-symposium.org
The goal of the Energy Symposium was to bring the new generation of engineers, scientists, researchers and policy makers together with industry representatives to promote a dialogue on the current energy landscape and the future of various careers in the energy industry. The Symposium aims to highlight some of the recent movements in the energy field such as technological innovations, climate change, consumer trends, political shifts and more.
This event was organized by the masters student's in the Energy Science, Technology and Policy (EST&P) M.S. program in the College of Engineering and jointly supported by EST&P Staff and Carnegie Mellon’s Scott Institute for Energy Innovation.
Various opportunities each semester, for example:
- Career consulting and job search preparation through CPDC, GCC, and Grad Education
- Career Search and Networking Workshop/"Boot Camp" for EST&P and MS-RT students
- Guest lectures and distinguished speaker seminars
- Opportunities to participate at regional energy conferences and competitions such as CMU Energy Week, MIT Energy Conference, ARPA-E Energy Summit, Engineering Sustainability Conference, etc.
- On-campus Job Fairs
- Technical Opportunities Conference, Fall Semester
- EncompassCMU, Fall and Spring Semesters
- Energy Industry Career Fair, During Energy Week- April 2018
Clubs and Organizations
Take advantage of education beyond the classroomThere are many student-run groups and professional societies who host a variety of events. Here are links to see what's going on at CMU:
Sponsored by EST&P:
- Orientation Luncheon
- Welcome Picnic
- CPT/Internship Panel Happy Hour
- American Thanksgiving Dinner
- December Graduate Recognition and Holiday Luncheon
- Spring Kick-off Dinner
- Spring Carnival Gathering
- Diploma Ceremony Breakfast Reception
Additionally, GSA sponsored activities are organized through the elected EST&P GSA representative. Past activities included: Ski trip, bowling, lunch/breakfasts/happy hours, rock climbing, ice skating, etc.