Applications and admission decisions to EST&P are managed independently from the other College of Engineering programs and departments.
This guide outlines the submission process and lists all the documents necessary for your application to be evaluated by the EST&P admissions committee.
- September 26 deadline for Spring Admission (mid January start)
- January 15 deadline for Fall Admission (late August start)
- Online Application Form (personal info: biographical, education history, work history, etc.)
- Selection of Degree (EST&P, EST&P-AS, or EST&P-AS-CS)
- Selection of Disciplinary Concentration
- Uploaded unofficial Transcript- official transcripts are requested after admission
- Official GRE scores from ETS**
- ETS Report Codes: see our FAQ for score delivery
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores for non-native English speakers**
- Report Codes: see our FAQ for score delivery
- Uploaded Resume/CV
- Three letters of recommendation
- 2 required Essay Questions
- Application fee - $75.00 USD* (pay by credit card only)
- The admissions committee prefers that you use the free WES GPA calculator to convert your GPA to a 4.0 scale. The alternative is to convert your GPA into a percentage of the maximum possible score used at your institution; then calculate the equivalent number out of the maximum possible 4.0 scale that represents this same percentage. If you believe proportional conversion does not fairly represent your undergraduate GPA, you may offer an explanation in your application’s optional essay question.
- Applicants upload their unofficial transcripts to the online application. Only unofficial transcripts should be submitted with the application. Admitted applicants who accept enrollment will receive a formal request for official transcripts. The official transcript from admitted students must show proof of completion of undergraduate degree and is required to be submitted by the end of August for Fall admits.
TOEFL /IELTS Scores:
- Required for all Non-native English speakers (English is not their “mother tongue”) who are studying in the U.S. under a student visa. Applicants who are non-native English speakers may request exemption from the TOEFL or IELTS requirement only if they have completed a four-year undergraduate program of study at a U.S. university within the continental U.S. If this applies to you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of the conditions for your excemption.
- Three recommenders must be submitted online in the recommendations section through the application portal. Recommenders are provided with a link to answer questions and to upload a letter into your online application. The admissions committee expects at least one academic reference to come from a faculty member at your undergraduate institution. Letters should be submitted by the deadline as there is only a short grace period after the deadline to receive these references before the admissions committee's review. The admissions committee prefers university or employer email addresses for recommenders.
*The application fee is waived for CMU undergraduates/alumni, GEM, & Fulbright applicants
**Test scores are only considered official if they are received directly from the testing center. See our FAQ for score delivery instructions.
Financial documentation is not needed for the application. However, if you are admitted and enrolled; you will need to send financial documents for processing of the I-20. Learn more here>>.
Application Review Process
The application review process begins shortly after the application deadline. All applications must be submitted through our online application system by the deadline. Supplemental materials such as official test scores and letters of recommendations may be accepted for a short period after the application deadline.
EST&P only grants MS degrees, and we do not have a formal Integrated Master's/Bachelor's (IMB) Degree option. However, we offer an expedited admission process for CMU undergraduates. This includes waiving the application fee and the GRE examination requirement. We ask that you submit an abbreviated application online, completing only one of the two essay questions and uploading a current transcript. We also request two letters of recommendation, but we have a simplified process for CMU faculty recommendations. Interested CMU undergraduates are encouraged to make an appointment to meet with an EST&P advisor, discuss your goals and interests, and learn the full details of the expedited application process.
EST&P Graduate Admissions Staff:
Phone: (412) 268-2947
Consider a visit to campus or contact us to learn more about the program and decide if it's the right fit for you.