The Andrew Carnegie Society celebrates the impact that our donors make at Carnegie Mellon.
ACS Award Winners
The ACS Recognition Award recognizes and honors ACS members who are dedicated to serving the society’s mission of excellence in education. Past winners include:
2015 - Larry Cartwright (CIT 1967, 1987)
Larry Cartwright is a dedicated alumnus, professor, philanthropist, and volunteer for Carnegie Mellon. In addition to being a former president of ACS, he was a principal lecturer in the department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. He has been a steadfast ACS member for many years and been a dedicated presence at countless Carnegie Mellon events.
Larry has been a faculty member at Carnegie Mellon since 1977. Among many notable accomplishments, his senior Design and Construction course was a favorite among the engineering students. It was designed to teach and provide real-world know-how.
He established an endowment for the ACS Scholars, which is awarded yearly to a senior in the College of Engineering. He also established a fellowship through the Fenves Student Travel Fellowship, awarded to a graduate student in Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Last but not least, Larry was for many years the owner and trainer of Maggie, Carnegie Mellon’s Scottish terrier mascot.
Larry is the recipient of numerous awards, including:
- Faculty Service Award, Oct. 26, 2007
- Alumni Service Award, Oct. 12, 2001
- Professor of the Year, American Society of Civil Engineers, Pittsburgh Section, 1999
- The William H. & Frances S. Ryan Teaching Award, CIT, 1994
- The Benjamin R. Teare Teaching Award, CIT, 1994
2014 - Noël Marie (McKenna) Newell
Noël Marie (McKenna) Newell was born and raised in San Francisco, and attended the University of California at Berkeley. Her connection to Carnegie Mellon began when her husband, the late Allen Newell, was convinced by the late Herbert Simon to come here from the RAND Corporation in 1955.
Noël has since become an integral part of the CMU community. A longtime Andrew Carnegie Society member, she was one of the pioneers of the Legacy Scholarship program in 1999. She went on to fund fourteen separate Legacy Scholarships, often sustaining four students at once: a freshman, a sophomore, a junior, and a senior.
She is especially remarkable for her lively interest in these students. For many years, she sponsored a yearly lunch at which these students could get to know her and each other. After graduating, Mrs. Newell remains in contact with her Legacy scholarship students whenever possible. One of her Legacy Scholarship recipients, Katherine Smith (HS 2011), states, “I was lucky to meet such an amazing woman as Mrs. Newell. Her generous giving made it possible for me to have a world class education and I hope to return the favor for a future CMU student.”
Recently, Noël also established two endowed scholarships: the Noël Marie Newell Scholarship in the School of Computer Science and the Noël Marie Newell Endowed Scholarship. A member of the Dunfermline Circle, Noël has participated and continues to participate in many events at Carnegie Mellon, particularly those associated with the Andrew Carnegie Society, School of Computer Science, and College of Fine Arts. Noël also made a gift to fund the beautiful Allen Newell Garden, outside Newell Simon Hall. Designed and built by 24 engineering students, the garden was constructed as part of a civil engineering course led by Professor Larry Cartwright. A believer in continuing education, she has been involved in Osher Lifelong Learning Institute for many years.
Her son, Paul Newell, lives in Redondo Beach, California.
2013 - Margaret Carver (MM 1943)
Dr. Margaret Carver received her bachelor's degree from the Margaret Morrison College at Carnegie Mellon in 1943 and her M.D. from the University of Pittsburgh in 1950, as one of only seven women in a class of '87. She interned in Harrisburg and then opened a general practice in Uniontown, Pennsylvania. Her patients included women who hadn't seen a doctor in 20 years, when the last female physician had practiced there. As the town had no obstetrician-gynecologist, she became board certified in that field. "I like obstetrics because it's a happy specialty," says Carver. "Everybody's joyful when you bring a baby into the world."
During her distinguished career, Dr. Carver performed approximately 10,000 deliveries. Recognizing other healthcare gaps within the small community, she was largely responsible for creating the area’s first mental health and family planning clinics. She became chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Uniontown Hospital, serving until her retirement and remaining a part-time practitioner until she withdrew from practice in 1997. She still volunteered in the hospital’s professional library, until her passing in late November 2013.
Dr. Carver was a dedicated Carnegie Mellon alumna. Besides volunteering as a Reunion Giving agent, she chaired the ACS Fellows membership drive and was a member of the ACS Executive Committee. In 1983, she endowed the Dr. Margaret A. Carver Scholarship for students in technical writing. Her gifts have also funded the Biological Sciences Graduate Student Travel Award, which has made it possible for doctoral students to attend conferences or visit researchers at other institutions. In 1991, Dr. Carver's commitment was recognized with the Alumni Merit Award.
2012 - Harold G. (E 1948, Former Trustee) and Anne S. Hall
Harold and Anne Hall have been deeply involved with Carnegie Mellon since their time as students in the 1940s. The impact of their volunteerism and philanthropy over six decades has touched countless lives at CMU.
Harold earned his B.S. in mechanical engineering from Carnegie Mellon in 1948, after serving for three years in the Army Air Corps as a pilot for the Air Transport Command. He is the former owner and president of Hall Industries, Inc. (in Elwood City, Pennsylvania), which specializes in manufacturing, transportation solutions and architectural and engineering services. In 1994, he handed over control of the company to his son Jonathan (IM 1981), but continues to assist his sons Jonathan, H. Mark, William and Edwin, and grandson Harold, in the family business.
Anne was a night student at Carnegie Tech. During that time, she served as associate editor and social chair for “The Plaid,” a publication for night students included in The Tartan. She also served as a secretary for both the ROTC and the Department of Mathematical Sciences.
Harold and Anne have been married for 64 years and have remained connected to CMU through their giving, event participation and volunteerism. They have been inducted as lifetime members of Order of the May, having supported the university financially for more than 25 consecutive years in numerous areas, including the Society of Automotive Engineers and the Department of Mechanical Engineering. In 1998, they established the Hall ACS Legacy Scholarship. Harold has been awarded both an Alumni Service Award (1980) and a Distinguished Service Award (1992) from the Alumni Association.
Harold and Anne enjoy spending time with their ever-growing family that includes six children, 19 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren (with one on the way). They are happy to note that several within the family are CMU alumni.
2011 - Irving (E 1936) and Aaronel deRoy Gruber (MM 1940)
Both have enjoyed long and successful careers. Aaronel received international attention for her work as a sculptor, painter, photographer, and videographer, and has been the frequent subject of books and articles. She was particularly noted for her arresting sculptures, which utilized massive steel plates as well as colorful motorized Plexiglas. Her photographic and video work was likewise noted for its ambition, scale, and boldly experimental nature.
Irving has been working as a merger and acquisitions broker and consultant since 1978. Prior to that, he served in executive roles of many large industrial companies both in the Western Pennsylvania and in New York City. This includes tenures as President of the American Forge & Manufacturing Company, General Manager of Sawhill Tubular Products, Executive Vice President of United Tube Corporation, and President of the Open Die Forging Association.
We are honored to recognized Irving and Aaronel with the 2011 Andrew Carnegie Society Recognition Award for their many decades of commitment to the ACS’s mission of promoting excellence in education at Carnegie Mellon University.
2010 - Virginia W. Schatz (A 1943)
Virginia Schatz and the Carnegie Mellon community began their great friendship while she was a music student at Carnegie Tech. Throughout six presidential administrations, she has remained a dedicated alumni leader, loyal volunteer, financial supporter and fundraiser, and passionate advocate for the School of Music and for the entire university.
After graduation, she became supervisor of music in Southmont, Pennsylvania public schools. She served overseas with the American Red Cross in World War II and returned to Pittsburgh to work with the YWCA. Virginia and her classmate Edward Schatz married in 1948. They raised two children, Eleanor and George, and began a lifelong partnership serving the university.
Ed, an alumnus with three degrees in electrical engineering, joined the Carnegie Mellon faculty in 1946. He taught and served as dean of research, vice president for academic affairs, and acting president, and later led the planning for the University Center.
Virginia joined the faculty of the Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf in 1960 and for many years brought great innovation and energy to her teaching of music to deaf children. Her involvement in Carnegie Mellon has likewise been creative and energetic. She is one of the longest-serving members of the Carnegie Mellon Women's Association and of her music sorority, Sigma Alpha Iota. She was an Alumni Association Board member, has served on many alumni reunion giving committees, and is an original member and fundraising leader of the University Libraries Development Board. She has continued to give the Andrew Carnegie Society her dynamic service for more than a quarter century.
The Andrew Carnegie Society is delighted to recognize Virginia Schatz with the 2010 Andrew Carnegie Society Recognition Award for her many decades of commitment and service to the ACS's mission of promoting excellence in education at Carnegie Mellon.
2009 - T. Jerome (E 1957, TPR 1969) and Carolyn R. Holleran
Jerry and Carolyn Holleran are role models, heroes and good friends of the Carnegie Mellon community. Known for their passionate championing of higher education and their generous philanthropic leadership, they have found innovative ways to serve the university and support its students and faculty for many years.
A Pittsburgh native, Jerry earned his electrical engineering undergraduate degree with scholarship support from a caring Carnegie Mellon donor. Jerry and Carolyn have repaid that generosity thousands of times over through their own philanthropy and service to Carnegie Mellon, to Carolyn's alma mater Connecticut College, and to their community.
Jerry, who also earned his master's degree in business administration at Carnegie Mellon, is chairman of Precision Medical Products, Inc., which he co-founded. Carolyn, a retired economic educator, manages Jerlyn Foundation, the Hollerans' family foundation. They have made time in their busy lives to serve on multiple boards in Reading, Pennsylvania, and they continue serving as emeriti trustees for their alma maters.
Jerry was elected to Carnegie Mellon's board of trustees in 1994, currently serves on its investment committee, and has served on many presidential advisory boards. He is a member of the Tepper School of Business Board of Advisors and the Entrepreneurship Advisory Council. Jerry also serves as vice chairman of the university's Inspire Innovation campaign committee.
One of Carolyn and Jerry's great ideas was to create the Holleran Scholarship Challenge, enabling Carnegie Mellon alumni and friends who had never given an endowed gift before to establish more than 50 new scholarships. They also created a program for the Holleran Scholars to learn about philanthropy and to practice assessing needs and allocating a Holleran fund to university causes. As one of the scholars says, meeting Jerry is inspiring and gives scholars an idea of what it is like to be a philanthropist, "to be what Andrew Carnegie was."
The Andrew Carnegie Society is delighted to recognize Carolyn and Jerry Holleran with the 2009 Andrew Carnegie Society Recognition Award for their generous service, support and inspiration.
2008 - Richard M. (HD 1989) and Margaret Schadick Cyert (HA 1993)
The Cyert administration, spanning from 1972 to 1990, catapulted Carnegie Mellon University to national prominence. Sixth president Dick Cyert's vision for the university is legendary, as is Margaret Cyert's caring for the members of the university community.
Margaret and Dick came to Carnegie Tech in 1948 when Dick accepted an economics position after earning a Ph.D. at Columbia University. They raised their daughters, Lynn, Lucinda and Martha in Pittsburgh and work together to build Carnegie Mellon for decades.
Dick served as dean of the Graduate School of Industrial Administration from 1962 to 1972. Then as president, he championed the establishment of the Robotics Institute, Software Engineering Institute and Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center. During his presidency, the Department of Computer Science grew into the School of Computer Science; and the pioneering Andrew computing network was developed, linking all computers and workstations on campus to make Carnegie Mellon the first completely wired university.
Margaret's role in the Cyert Administration was vital. She reassured parents on freshmen move-in day and enlisted Warner Hall staff to help students carry their belongings across the Cut. She is famous for establishing the "cookies before exams" program, which she now continues in collaboration with the University Libraries. She also accompanied Dick throughout the world as the university's reach expanded.
Margaret, a longtime advocate of early childhood education, earned her master's degree from the University of Pittsburgh in 1982. Carnegie Mellon named the Margaret Shadick Cyert Center for Early Education in her honor. Margaret also champions the University Libraries, serves on its development board and supports numerous library initiatives. She joined Dick in establishing three professorships and a scholarship for the university in addition to supporting the Cyert Center and the Children's School. Following Dick's death in 1998, Margaret has faithfully continued her active involvement in and support of the university.
The Andrew Carnegie Society shares an important history with the Cyerts; it was founded in 1972 during the first year of the Cyert administration.
Photo courtesy of University Archives
2007 - Hugh D. (S 1952, 1953, 1959, A 1972) and Alice C. Young
Hugh and Alice Young are part of the very foundation of Carnegie Mellon University. Over the six decades they have been affiliated with the institution, they have built an extraordinary network of friends, bringing together many diverse students and faculty in the true collaborative spirit of Carnegie Mellon. Their connections with alumni and faculty extend around the globe.
Hugh began teaching science at Carnegie Tech, as the institution was then known, as an instructor in 1956. He was an assistant professor of physics from 1959-1965, and served as the head of the Department of Natural Sciences from 1962-1967. He was made a full professor in 1977. In 1965 he received the William H. and Frances S. Ryan Award for Meritorious Teaching. He received the Carnegie Mellon Alumni Service Award in 1995. Hugh received the Robert Doherty Prize for Sustained Contributions to Excellence in Education in 1977, and the Richard Moore Education Award in 1998, for his substantial and outstanding contributions to education at Carnegie Mellon and in the Mellon College of Science. Hugh, a true renaissance man for his exceptional skills in both science and music, has gained national prominence as a leading author of physics textbooks. He also stands apart for the number of degrees he has earned at Carnegie Mellon: three in physics and one in music.
Alice, a leading member of the Carnegie Mellon Women's Association for years, established and strengthened dozens of bonds among women in the university community through volunteer activities. Always treating members of the Carnegie Mellon community as family, the Young's have welcomed many students into their home for Thanksgiving celebrations.
Together, they have made a wonderful and lasting impression on the university and thousands of its alumni.
2006 - Lucian (A 1950) and Rita Ebner Caste (HA 1990)
Lucian is the retired principal architect and owner of Lucian Caste Architects and Engineers. Based in Pittsburgh, Lucian Caste Architects and Engineers specialized in the design of healthcare facilities and received numerous awards for design excellence under Lucian's leadership. He has also been instrumental in many of the restoration efforts on Carnegie Mellon's campus, overseeing the historic preservation of Margaret Morrison Carnegie Hall, Hamerschlag Hall, Wean Hall, The College of Fine Arts and Warner Hall.
Currently, Lucian is vice president of the Caste Companies, a real estate holding company that specializes in the development and management of multi-family and commercial properties.
Lucian and Rita, devoted members of the Carnegie Mellon family, continue to be involved in many university initiatives.
As a member of the university's Board of Trustees, Lucian has participated on the Executive, Advancement, Development, Property Facilities, Educational Affairs and Enrollment, and the Qatar Oversight committees.
A long time ACS member, Lucian served on its Executive Board from 1989-2005 and as president from 1996-1998. He was a member of the Carnegie Mellon Alumni Association Board, serving as both a planning and giving volunteer for past reunions and a major gift volunteer during the Carnegie Mellon Centennial Campaign. He is chair of the University's Master Plan Steering Committee and is an Emeriti Trustee Annual Fund chair.
Lucian is a founder and past president of Carnegie Mellon's tremendously successful Academy of Lifelong Learning (ALL), a program for those who wish to extend their education into their senior years.
Lucian is also the founder and past president of Cornerstones: the Center for Architecture, Development and Building at Carnegie Mellon. Founded in 2000, Cornerstones is an outreach program administered by the School of Architecture that is committed to rejuvenating the Pittsburgh region by creating new ideas and opportunities for growth and development in architectural, design and building techniques.
For many years, Rita and Lucian have been goodwill ambassadors for Carnegie Mellon. In 2000, the couple helped the university celebrate its 100th anniversary by inviting Margaret Thomson, Andrew Carnegie's great-granddaughter, and her brother-in-law, Gavin Suggett, to the festivities. Rita and Lucian served as their hosts during the weekend and their presence helped bridge the gap of 100 years and remind all of us of our wonderful heritage.
After demonstrating a history of commitment to the Carnegie Mellon University Libraries and the University Archives, Rita and Lucian presented Carnegie Mellon with its one-millionth volume, a gift they procured from the Carnegie UK Trust. The limited edition volumes once resided in the Carnegie family library at Skibo Castle and include handwritten inscriptions by Andrew Carnegie's wife, Louise.
Many areas of Carnegie Mellon have been reached by Rita and Lucian's benevolence. They have made significant contributions to the Purnell Center for the Arts, the School of Architecture, the University Center and the Andrew Carnegie Society Scholars Program.
The Andrew Carnegie Society is proud to honor Rita and Lucian Caste for their long-standing and continued commitment, leadership and generosity to Carnegie Mellon.
2005 - Thomas (E 1955) and Eileen McConomy (MM 1956)
Thomas (Tom) and Eileen McConomy's five decades of commitment to Carnegie Mellon were celebrated with their selection as the 2005 Andrew Carnegie Society Recognition Award recipients.
Tom and Eileen are among the university's most loyal volunteers and donors. Today, Tom serves as a vice chair of the new capital campaign, while Eileen is the chair of the Margaret Morrison Centennial Celebration (2006). Tom is also an emeritus life trustee and former chairman of the Board of Trustees of Carnegie Mellon.
The McConomys remain passionate about Carnegie Mellon, displaying incredible generosity toward the students, faculty, facilities, and many other aspects of the Tartan community. Their loyal contributions have impacted many areas of the university, providing laboratory, professorship, scholarship, building, and unrestricted operating support. Their philanthropy has touched the student body and the Andrew Carnegie Society through the establishment of the “Thomas A. and Eileen (Cerutti) McConomy Andrew Carnegie Society Endowed Scholars Award in Fine Arts.” The funds from this scholarship are awarded yearly through the ACS Scholars program to two of Carnegie Mellon's best and brightest undergraduate students who embody high standards of academic excellence combined with multi-dimensional characteristics.
Eileen enthusiastically served as an ACS Board member from 1990 to 1997 and as chair of the ACS Scholars Committee in its formative years, establishing the early criteria for the program. Eileen is a teacher and served as chair of the Carlow University Board of Trustees. In 2004, an honorary doctorate was conferred on her by Carlow University. She previously served as a trustee at the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts.
Tom, now a private investor, is chairman of the board and a founder of Calgon Carbon Corporation—the world's largest manufacturer of granular activated carbon. He has been a member of the board and active with the company's management since it was established in 1985. He served as chairman of the board, president and CEO from 1985 to 1994 and again from 1998 through 1999. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of Equitable Resources.
Tom and Eileen share a legacy with three generations of family members who attended Carnegie Mellon. Their daughter, Karen McConomy, and son-in-law, John Bugos, are 1992 graduates of Carnegie Mellon's Graduate School of Industrial Administration, now known as the Tepper School of Business. Eileen's father graduated from Carnegie Tech in 1927 and Tom's father attended the Carnegie Technical Schools in the 1920s.
The Andrew Carnegie Society is proud to honor Tom and Eileen McConomy for their long-standing dedication, leadership, and benevolence toward Carnegie Mellon.
2004 - William Goldsmith (E 1940)
In recognition of his generosity and dedication to Carnegie Mellon, William Goldsmith has been selected as the 2004 Andrew Carnegie Society Recognition Award recipient. Bill’s connection to the university spans almost seven decades, and the Society is pleased to honor him for his years of devotion to Carnegie Mellon and his exemplary career. He has served the university in many capacities, and is currently an emeritus life trustee of the Carnegie Mellon Board of Trustees and past president of both the Carnegie Mellon Alumni Association and the Andrew Carnegie Society. Bill also was chair of several Mechanical Engineering Advisory Boards. He was honored in 1990 with the Alumni Association Distinguished Service Award.
Bill is chairman of Nucon Energy Group. A retired vice chairman of NPS Technologies Group, he has been a consultant to the NPS Technologies Group, as well as to firms in the United States, Canada, Taiwan and Spain. He was chairman, president and chief executive officer of Tubeco, Inc., a leading supplier of fabricated piping systems. More recently he served as chairman and CEO of Overspin Golf Company and as chairman and CEO of Fiber Fuel International Inc., both in Savannah, Georgia. He is a member of the Board of Directors of WHX Corporation, the holding company for Handy and Harman Corporation and other companies, and formerly Wheeling Pittsburgh Steel Corporation. For several years he held various offices on the executive committee of the Pipe Fabrication Institute, a national trade organization.
The Andrew Carnegie Society is proud to recognize Bill for his outstanding dedication to the spirit of Andrew Carnegie through his leadership and commitment to the Carnegie Mellon community.
2003 - Maxwell H. (E 1939) and Gloria Connan (HA 1991)
Maxwell (Mac) and Gloria Connan were selected as the 2003 Andrew Carnegie Society Recognition Award recipients because of the extraordinary relationship with Carnegie Mellon they shared for more than 60 years. Throughout those years, they demonstrated a boundless and enthusiastic commitment to the university.
Mac, who died in 2003, leaves quite a legacy to us. While living in New York in the early 1970s, Mac, along with James Taylor (E 1940) and Henry Lehne (E 1937), strove to create a leadership giving organization to support the university. The result was the original group of 21 alumni who founded the Andrew Carnegie Society in 1972.
Mac and Gloria, who holds honorary alumna status, provided a remarkable model of volunteerism to the university, taking active roles in previous capital campaigns, attending countless events on campus, and co-hosting many President’s Weekends to build relationships with key supporters.
Mac served as a Carnegie Mellon Trustee for 35 years and as an Emeritus Life Trustee. He had been a member of numerous college and department advisory committees and was a past president of both the Carnegie Mellon Alumni Association and the Andrew Carnegie Society. Also, Mac and Gloria were involved with the Academy for Lifelong Learning since its inception in 1992.
The couple made many generous leadership gifts to the university, including donating the Connan Room in the University Center, endowing the Maxwell H. and Gloria Connan Scholarship Fund to provide aid to biotechnology students, and contributing a planned gift to fund an endowed professorship in the life sciences.
Their children are Andrew, Diana Forgy, a Carnegie Mellon alumna, and Frederic. After retiring as president of Connan Industrial Properties, Mac became an avid portrait and landscape artist.
The Andrew Carnegie Society is forever in the debt of Mac and Gloria for their generosity, inspiration, leadership and untiring dedication to Carnegie Mellon
2002 - Walter Blenko Jr. (E 1950)
With gratitude for his devotion to Carnegie Mellon University, Walter Blenko Jr. was selected as the 2002 Andrew Carnegie Society Recognition Award recipient.
During World War II, before beginning his college career, he served in the U.S. Army (1944-46) as an automatic rifleman in the European Theater of Operations, and with the 95th Infantry Division in Belgium, France, Germany and Holland. He was awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge and Bronze Star Medal.
When he enrolled at Carnegie Tech in the fall of 1946, his class was the largest ever and was composed mostly of veterans returning from the war. "They were a mature and no-nonsense group," he said. "The students came from a wide variety of economic, cultural and social backgrounds. What motivated them was a singular desire to obtain a Carnegie Tech education. Many, if not most of them, were in the first generation in their families to attend college. Many were there only because the GI Bill made it possible."
He was awarded a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Carnegie Institute of Technology (CIT) in 1950, then his J.D. degree in 1953 from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. He was admitted to the bar in 1954.
Walter Blenko became a prominent Pittsburgh attorney specializing in intellectual property law. Currently he is Of Counsel with Eckert Seamans Cherin and Mellott.
His dedication to the university has been demonstrated in many ways. He was a member of the ACS Founding Committee, and served as ACS president 1981-83, then as a member of the ACS Executive Committee 1983-2000. He has also served as a member of the Alumni Association Executive Board (AAEB) and its Executive Committee.
In 1984 he received the Alumni Service Award, and in 1993, the Alumni Distinguished Service Award, the university’s highest alumni service award.
He also has a familial heritage with the university. Walter's father, Dr. Walter J. Blenko Sr. became an ex-officio alumni trustee of CIT in 1943. He was elected as a term trustee in 1959 and later became a life trustee, a capacity in which he served until his death in 1978. He was chairman of the executive committee for 19 years. Dr. Blenko received the Alumni Service Award in 1956, the Alumni Merit Award in 1947 and the Distinguished Service Award in 1967.
During the years Walter Jr. was on campus, he noted there was "an intense concentration on academic subjects, and the level of extracurricular activities was something to behold."
But the core of his wonderful memories from 50 years ago was overshadowed by the achievements of those students. "They amply justified Andrew Carnegie's original objective of making higher education available for students based upon their individual merit and desire to learn."
2001 - Philip Chosky (E 1948)
Philip Chosky, a Pittsburgh native, graduated from Carnegie Tech in 1948 with a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering. He was the founder of three of the most respected trade schools in the United States: Rosedale Technical Institute (est. 1949) located in Pittsburgh and the Electronic Institutes (est. 1955-59), located in Pittsburgh and Harrisburg.
Mr. Chosky developed his love of the theatre while in high school, and attending productions at Carnegie Tech. He was a generous supporter of the university’s College of Fine Arts, and the theater in Purnell Center bears his name.
For his dedication to Carnegie Mellon University, Mr. Chosky was selected as the 2001 recipient of the Andrew Carnegie Society Recognition Award. He also received Carnegie Mellon’s Alumni Service Award, the Andrew Carnegie Philanthropic Award and the university’s Distinguished Alumni Service Award.
2000 - Herbert A. and Dorothea Pye Simon
Born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Herbert was educated in political science at the University of Chicago (B.A. 1936, Ph.D. 1943). His dissertation, Administrative Behavior (1947), is one of the most influential books of the 20th century on the theory of organizations in particular, and on the theory of human rationality, in general. He held research and faculty positions at the University of California, Berkeley; Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago, and from 1949, Carnegie Mellon University, where he was the Richard King Mellon University Professor of Computer Science and Psychology. In 1978, he received the Alfred Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences, and in 1986, the National Medal of Science.
When the Graduate School of Industrial Administration at Carnegie Institute of Technology (CIT) was in the planning stages, Herbert served as a key adviser. He was then asked to become a full professor of administration in the new school as well as chairman of the Department of Industrial Management. Herbert and his colleagues turned their energies into building a new kind of business school, one based on rigorous social research and empirical findings.
At Carnegie Mellon, Herbert continued his extensive research on human decision-making. In the early years, he drew on the work of cognitive psychologists during an era when their work was ignored by behaviorists who reigned supreme. Throughout his career, he drew on the work of mathematicians, logicians, economists, political scientists, philosophers, computer scientists and psychologists, as well as the early contributors to what was to become the cybernetic revolution in the social sciences. In the early 1950s he joined forces with Allen Newell and Cliff Shaw to use the new electronic computers as instruments for modeling the processes of human thinking, so that computer programs became basic formal theories of major cognitive processes. This work with Allen Newell and their faculty colleagues and graduate students continued in the succeeding years at Carnegie Mellon to have major impact on our understanding of human thinking.
The thread of continuity through all his work has been his interest in human decision-making and problem-solving processes, and the implications of these processes for social institutions. For more than 40 years, he had made extensive use of the computer as a tool for both simulating human thinking and augmenting it with artificial intelligence.
Herbert's books included Administrative Behavior, Human Problem Solving jointly with Allen Newell, The Sciences of the Artificial, Scientific Discovery with Pat Langley, Gary Bradshaw and Jan Zythow, and Models of My Life (autobiography).
Dorothea Pye Simon
Born in California and spending most of her childhood in the San Francisco Bay area, Dorothea completed a bachelor's degree in political science at the University of California, Berkeley in 1934. She attended the University of Chicago as a graduate student in political science where she met Herbert A. Simon, also a graduate student. They married on Christmas Day in 1937. At Chicago, Dorothea and Herbert had a lively intellectual and social life with the graduate students of political science and with a miscellaneous group of students interested in the philosophy of science.
Their elder daughter, Katie, was born in 1942, their son, Peter, was born in 1944 and their younger daughter, Barbara, was born in 1946. Dorothea decided to devote her time primarily to her young family. In the autumn of 1949, Herbert was appointed professor of administration in the new Graduate School of Industrial Administration at Carnegie Tech. The Simon family moved to Pittsburgh, where they bought a large old house just a mile from campus, which was their home for the next 47 years. Dorothea joined a local chapter of the Allegheny County League of Women Voters. A second organization that engaged Dorothea's efforts was the Craig House - Technoma, which became a leading provider in Pittsburgh of educational and psychiatric services to children. For more than 40 years she served on the board of directors and for several years as president. Dorothea's third activity, outside her home, had been with the First Unitarian Church where she had been a member of the board and a very active member.
When the children were completing their schooling and she no longer needed to spend as much time in the home, she began a new career in education. She accepted a research position in the Learning Research and Development Center at the University of Pittsburgh. Her work produced a new theory of the causes of spelling errors, which was supported by experimental data and by simulation with a computer model. She and Herbert found themselves authors of a joint paper on the theoretical aspects of this project. At this point, she decided to join, as a volunteer, the research group Herbert led at Carnegie Mellon, which was carrying on similar studies involving computer simulation of the processes students use to learn how to solve problems.
This account of Dorothea's activities would be grossly incomplete if it did not say something about the person who did all of these things. "To her, people are not important or unimportant, they are not high or low, they are people, who cohabit this Earth with her," said her husband.
Photo courtesy of University Archives