Rules Regarding Summer Lab Personnel-Environmental Health & Safety - Carnegie Mellon University

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Rules Regarding Summer Lab Personnel

In the summer months, we often have a different group of people in our labs, both working and learning.  It is important to be aware of the limitations specified by the University’s Office of General Counsel regarding certain classes of these lab personnel.  


All students regardless of age enrolled in regular or other university-sanctioned classes or related businesses (such as Carnegie Mellon’s “Bring Your Child to Work Day”) are addressed by the University’s liability agreements.  If these students are under age 18, hazardous material exposure must be minimal, and constant supervision by a staff member of the lab is required.  No other action is needed.

If current Carnegie Mellon undergraduates are working as volunteers in research labs where hazardous materials are present, they must be registered in a class; 99-412 section A is a one-unit credit course and tuition payment is provided through the office of the Vice Provost of Education.  Please ensure that all applicable workers are covered under this requirement.

Other persons under age 18

If the applicable persons are enrolled in an Outreach program, the issue of whether a waiver of liability will be required from the parent or guardian of the person will be decided on a case by case basis.   Contact University Counsel for further details and information.

If persons under age 18 are NOT enrolled in an Outreach program or regular university function, as noted above, they are NOT permitted to be in the laboratory where hazardous materials are present.

Volunteers in the laboratory

Volunteer workers in the laboratory (who are NOT Carnegie Mellon employees nor students) are NOT permitted.  This includes (but is not limited to) children of any age or spouses of employees.  Exceptions will be considered on a case by case basis by EH&S.  

Other Non-Carnegie Mellon Persons

A formal relationship with the outside personnel must be established in such cases.  The employer of this outside worker must have a current agreement with Carnegie Mellon addressing the issues of the liability of the worker while at our site.  This addresses both outside researchers using Carnegie Mellon facilities as well as repair or maintenance personnel in our laboratories.  The lab or department is responsible to ensure that such an agreement is in place.

Questions related to these requirements should be addressed to the Office of General Counsel.