Coronavirus Information from Dining Services
Please review this page to learn about the isolate-in-place meal ordering through Grubhub and campus dining health and safety measures.
If you can't find the information you are looking for here, please email us.
Dining Services will operate in a manner consistent with the minimum requirements articulated by the university, and expects guests of our dining locations to adhere to those guidelines.
Wear a facial covering
Facial coverings both indoors and outdoors are optional, but remain strongly recommended, for members of our community who are up-to-date with respect to COVID-19 vaccinations.
If you are not fully vaccinated (including booster when eligible), you must maintain 6 feet when eating or drinking.
Review COVID-19 Residential Guidelines
How can I get a meal if I am instructed to isolate in place?
Any student living in on-campus housing, with or without a meal plan, who is instructed by University Health Services to isolate-in-place in their currently-assigned rooms can obtain meals by ordering in advance using Grubhub at participating dining locations.
If you have been instructed to move into isolation and quarantine housing, please refer to the isolation meal delivery service.
Can I have someone else pick up my meals for me?
How will you handle special dining needs (vegetarian/vegan, food allergies or intolerances, kosher or Halal meals)?
Please order from a dining location that you know can accommodate your special dining needs. The Our Food page lists dining locations that support a variety of special dining needs. You can also share special instructions through the app.
Are contactless payment and food pick-up options available?
Participating dining locations will offer online and mobile ordering for pick-up through Grubhub. Using Grubhub, Carnegie Mellon students and community members can:
- View menus of participating dining locations.
- Place customizable food orders.
- Pay for your order with meal blocks, FLEX, DineXtra, or a credit card.
- Patrons who want to pay with blocks or FLEX/DineXtra can swipe their own CMU ID card.
- Credit card readers will allow for touchless payment.
What health and safety protocols are in place at each dining location?
- Hand sanitizer will be available at each location.
- Personnel will adhere to strict guidelines for handwashing, personal hygiene, cleaning, sanitizing, and food safety practices.
- We continue to monitor guidance provided by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Allegheny Health Department (AHD) to ensure a safe foodservice environment.
Health Care Tips
- Wash your hands often with soap and hot water for 20 seconds, and make sure you wash your thumbs, wrists and in-between your fingers. This is the best defense against the spread of all viruses.
- Stay home when you are ill. A day or two of rest will assure quicker recovery and decrease the spread of infectious illness on campus.
- Cover your cough/sneeze with a tissue or the crook of your arm, and then promptly wash your hands or use hand sanitizer if soap and water is not available.
- Get plenty of rest/sleep.
- Get the seasonal flu vaccine. Though not protective against coronavirus, the seasonal vaccine may prevent against flu, which is circulating on campus and is known to cause possible severe respiratory illness.
Symptoms for Coronavirus May Include
- Runny nose;
- Sore throat;
- Fever; and
- A general feeling of being ill.
Learn more about mitigating the spread of COVID-19 on campus