Assistant Professor of Economics
EducationPhD: Economics, University of California, San Diego, 2014
MA: Economics, University of California, San Diego, 2010
BA: Economics (with Honors) Northwestern University, 2007
ResearchAlex's research interests include behavioral and experimental economics, particularly how social concerns and emotions influence decision making and preferences. His current research examines the effectiveness of prosocial incentive schemes across a variety of domains and how subtle changes in social norms can have a large effect on behavior. He is also working on exploring the relationship between self-imposed mental accounts and risk attitudes.
- "The Realization Effect: Risk-Taking after Realized versus Paper Losses." American Economic Review, forthcoming. Online Appendix
- "Do People Anticipate Loss Aversion?" (with S. Sadoff and A. Samek). Management Science, 2016.
- "Conscience Accounting: Emotion Dynamics in Social Behavior." (with U. Gneezy and K. Madarasz). Management Science, 2014.
- "The Materazzi Effect and the Strategic Use of Anger." (with U. Gneezy). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2014.
- "Working for the `Warm Glow': On the Benefits and Limits of Prosocial Incentives." Journal of Public Economics, 2013.
- "Experimental Methods: Eliciting Risk Preferences." (with G. Charness and U. Gneezy). Journal of Economic Behavior and Organizations, 2013.
- "Paying to be Nice: Costly Prosocial Behavior and Consistency." (with A. Gneezy, L.D. Nelson, M.I. Norton and A. Brown). Management Science, 2012.
Book Chapters"Lab in the Field: Measuring Preferences in the Wild." (with U. Gneezy). in Handbook of Field Experiments, Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo, editors. Elsevier, 2016.
- "Waiting to Choose." (with M.A. Kuhn and V. Mironova). Updated version coming soon.
- "Psychological Money Laundering." (with C. Morewedge and G. Loewenstein). Updated version coming soon.
- "Estimating Individual Ambiguity Aversion: A Simple Method." (with U. Gneezy and J. List). NBER Working Paper 20982
- "Regret in One-Shot and Recurrent Decisions." (with D. Lame and A. Wilson). Updated version coming soon.
- Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-1 Regulates Integrin αvβ3 Expression and Autocrine TGFβ Signaling." (with B. S. Pedjora, L. E. Kang, P. Carmeliet and A. M. Bernstein). Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2009.
- "EEG-based Method for Biometric Identity Confirmation." (with M. Milgramm). U.S. Patent No. 7,594,122.
- "EEG-based Method for Real Time Attitude Assessment." (with M. Milgramm). U.S. Patent No. 7,570,991.
- "EEG-based Method for Attention and Productivity Monitoring." (with M. Milgramm). U.S. Patent No. 7,574,254.