Assistant Professor of Epidemiology (Chronic Diseases), Yale School of Public Health
Professor Monin’s research examines how emotional processes affect health in older adult relationships. Her research combines survey methods and laboratory experiments to understand the mechanisms (e.g. emotional contagion, cardiovascular reactivity) and moderators (gender, individual differences in attachment) involved in these processes. Currently her research focuses on understanding how exposure to a loved one’s suffering affects the physical and psychological health of older adult caregivers.
M.S., Carnegie Mellon Univ (2005)
Ph.D., Carnegie Mellon Univ (2007)
Aging; Caregiving; Emotion; Health; Attachment
· Monin, J. K., Zhou, L., & Kershaw, T. (in press). Attachment and psychological health of older couples coping with pain. Geropsych: The Journal of Gerontopsychology and Geriatric Psychiatry, 27, 3, 115-127.
· Monin, J. K., Chen, B. & Stahl, S. (in press). Dyadic associations between physical activity and depressive symptoms in older adults with musculoskeletal conditions and their spouses. Stress & Health.
· Monin, J. K., Schulz, R., & Feeney, B. C. (2014). Compassionate Love in Individuals With Alzheimer's Disease and Their Spousal Caregivers: Associations With Caregivers' Psychological Health. The Gerontologist
· Monin, J. K., Schulz, R., Martire, L. M., Connelly, D., & Czaja, S. J. (2013). The Personal Importance of Being Independent: Associations With Changes in Disability and Depressive Symptoms. Rehabilitation Psychology, 59, 1, 35-41.
· Monin, J. K., Schulz, R. & Kershaw, T. (2013). Caregiving spouses’ attachment orientations and the physical and psychological health of individuals with Alzheimer’s disease. Aging and Mental Health, 17, 4, 508-516.
· Monin, J. K., Schulz, R., Lemay, E. P., Jr., & Cook, T. B. (2012). Linguistic markers of emotion regulation and cardiovascular reactivity among older caregiving spouses. Psychology & Aging, 27, 4, 903-911.
· Monin, J. K., Schulz, R., Martire, L. M., Jennings, J. R., Lingler, J. H., & Greenberg, M. S. (2010). Spouses' cardiovascular reactivity to their partners' suffering. Journals of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 65B, 2, 195-201.
· Monin, J. K., Schulz, R., Feeney, B. C., & Cook, T. B. (2010). Attachment insecurity and perceived partner suffering as predictors of personal distress. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 46, 6, 1143-1147.
· Monin, J. K. & Schulz, R. (2009). Interpersonal effects of suffering in older adult caregiving relationships. Psychology and Aging, 24, 3, 681-695.
· Schulz, R., Beach, S. R., Hebert, R. S., Martire, L. M., Monin, J. K., Tompkins, C. A., Albert, S. M. (2009). Spousal suffering and partner's depression and cardiovascular disease: The Cardiovascular Health Study. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 17, 3, 1354-1372.