On May 18th, students, their families & friends, faculty, and staff of the Department of English gathered in McConomy Auditorium for the presentation of diplomas to the Class of 2013. This year’s class includes:
• 20 B.A. in Creative Writing
• 2 B.A. in English
• 13 B.A. in Professional Writing
• 1 B.A. in Technical Writing
• 1 B.S.
• 7 Bachelor of Humanities and Arts
• 26 Additional Majors & Minors
• 15 M.A. in Literary & Cultural Studies
• 10 M.A. in Rhetoric
• 14 M.A. in Professional Writing
• 1 Ph.D. in Literary & Cultural Studies
• 4 Ph.D. in Rhetoric
Christine Neuwirth, Head of English welcomed students and their families to the event, and offered advice and encouragement to the graduates. She also gave the students an opportunity to stand and applaud their families and friends for their roles in supporting their academic success.
Student speakers representing a range of programs offered their reflections on their time at CMU and their hopes for the future:
• Peter Mack, M.A. in Literary & Cultural Studies
• Margaret Gross, M.A. in Rhetoric
• Belinda Brown, B.A. in English
• Zachary Betka, B.A. in Creative Writing
• Anna Walsh, B.A. in Professional Writing
The diploma ceremony was followed by a reception in the Schatz Dining Room in the University Center.
To see more photos of the graduation ceremony, click here.