Overloading-Academic Advisory Center (AAC) - Carnegie Mellon University


Dietrich College offers students a rich curriculum of courses that allow for mastery of knowledge and skill sets across its disciplines.  Such mastery cannot be achieved if students are over-burdened with the demands of too many courses. The College supports an ideal of student life that allows for balanced, well-rounded maturation and development.  Since we expect and encourage a broad and diverse co-curricular college experience, the College faculty agrees that limits need to be placed on how many courses a student should be allowed to take in a given semester.  This policy on overloading is designed to allow our students the time for course content mastery as well as the personal reflection on and integration of knowledge that makes for successful intellectuals, professionals and citizens.


Overloading is defined as taking more than the equivalent of five full-semester courses; it usually means registering for more than 50 units per semester.  Eligibility for overloading is defined as having a QPA of 3.00 (or higher) in the last completed semester and a current cumulative QPA of 3.00 (or higher). 

Eligibility does not automatically allow the student to register for more than 50 units; eligible students must be granted special permission through the following:
• completing this “Petition to Carry an Overload for Dietrich College Students” form
• meeting with the student's primary academic advisor to discuss overloading
• if written permission is granted on this petition, online processing of the unit increase is through the academic advisor

All petitions approved before the posting of final grades for the semester preceding the overload semester are subject to revocation if the student does not achieve a 3.00 semester QPA (or higher).  It is the student’s responsibility to discuss this matter with their academic advisor.  If approval for overloading is granted after the deadline for adding courses, a "LATE ADD REQUEST" form must be completed after the advisor increases the "Max Units" on ORSD; form is then submitted to BH A57 for processing of course ADD.


You must request to overload from your primary major Academic Advisor.